Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fridges and freezers-Efficiency
My wife is convinced that our 14 year old fridge and freezer are now inefficient and should be replaced Is there evidence to support this? I hate the modern trend of replacing everything with the...
2
2

Axxys newel posts
does anyone have any experience with the axxys range of balluster/handrails etc ? what I really need to know is the best way to fix the newel into the chrome newel connector, which itself is bolted...

Install one way lamp on two way circuit
I'm replacing the light in the bedroom (has 2 light switches) & I know i should looked before i took the old light down but i forgot Not until i was ready to wire the new light did i notice the...
3
3

Trunking Supply
Hello all, I'm installing some CAT 5e cable and would like to know anybodies recommendation of trunking supplier in Manchester / Stockport area. I'm after best quality and lowest price....

Helping Reduce Cellar Damp - Humi Stop Anyone?
Hi I wonder if anyone has tried Humi Stop by Tou Pret ? It's supposed to be an anti-damp treatment. I'm sceptical with this kind of thing, but we were thinking of using it in a cellar - not to...

Do I need this...
...great ugly coil of earth wire and associated clamps bonding an outside tap supply pipe to the overflow pipe from a lavatory cistern? I ask because it just looks so awful in what is otherwise a tidy...
8
8

Is RCD Adaptor necessary?
I have a modern house which probably has an RCD distribution board. If so, is it necessary to have an RCD Adaptor for my electric mower, etc? How do I confirm that my distribution board has a built in...
5
5

How heavy ...
... is 2400 x 1200 x 9.5mm plasterboard? That is what you use for ceilings, isn't it? Just wondering whether me and the missus will be able to put it up. And what is the best thing to use for...
5
5

Changing a conservatory to a garden room
Hello, As our conservatory is either too hot or too cold most of the time, I have decided to make a stab at an insulated false ceiling following the contours of the two pitch polycarbonate roof...
2
2

Hotpoint First Edition DF52 Dishwasher inlet valve
Hi All, My Hotpoint DF52 dishwasher has a known issue - the water inlet value stops working if (a) I interrupt water going in at a critical moment (I don't do this except very rarely)- happens...
1
1

Dishwashing Dispenser Unit
Hi, Our Bosh Dishwasher dispenser unit seems to have given up - i.e. not opening. I've replaced the cover and spring. I also managed to find another machine which had a known working dispenser...
3
3

cleaning pvc roof
We have a roof of corrugated pvc (standard size ridges) between the house and the garage, it has a slope of about 1 in 15. The pvc gets very dirty with algae and or moss washed down off the main roof....
7
7

Insulating edge of bifold doors
I have a pair of wooden bifold doors to a conservatory. The head jamb is a plain piece of wood - the doors do not close against anything, so they are free to open inward or outward. There is a gap of...
17
17

corrugated roofing - fibre or asbestos ?
How do you tell the difference between asbestos cement and fibre cement roofng sheet? (i.e. do I have a problem or do I not) Thanks, Gil
7
7

How to age brass
Does anyone know how I can 'age' brass? I've a small brass bowl with a planished face and rope effect edge, I have now acquire a second (they were supposed to be in pairs) but the newer of...
6
6