Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Inverters
Someone in PC World was trying to sell me an inverter, telling me that I can run not just my laptop but a whole host of 240v mains appliances off my 12v car battery using an inverter. I have seen...
10
10

Conservatory Heating
New conservatory but need heating for the winter. Extension of the existing housed-based central heating is not an option and nor is underfloor heating. So what to go with? Oil-filled rads or...
12
12

Another air con question
Just thought of something else. These air cons have two approx 6" dia tubes to vent to the outside. (They are packed inside one another to save space so are slightly different sizes). The downstairs...
1
1

Aerated or heavy concrete block?
I'm about to replace the roof on an old large garage made from 'medium density' concrete blocks. On my neighbours side the top 10 inches or so is made up in very rough brick and looks bad...

Ideas on positioning air con
Just aquired some through the wall air cons. Way too big for my rooms but at least I'll be cool. I have the choice of either side of the chimney breast in the bed room and living room. Bed room...
12
12

Insulating a Log Cabin (built from kit)
Well, just about finished building a log cabin from kit (see not get the insulated option coz of big =A3=A3 - (Did get the floor insulation but have found out since that I paid 4 times more then I...

Battery Life
I have a large torch which contains 4 1.5 V batteries and when the torch light faded and went out I checked the voltage in the 4 batteries and they all read 1,4 V It would appear that a drop of 0.1 V...
2
2

Experience of shower pumps?
We are about to venture into a new bathroom and will likely use a Mira Element BIV shower assembly. However we would like this to be a power shower. Has anyone out there got experience of shower pumps...
6
6

Water hammer
Having added an extra cold water pipe run in our utility room, there is a tendency for water hammer elsewhere in the system if taps are turned off with enthusiasm (about the only enthusiasm my son...
1
1

Interesting plumbing
What about this little lot under our old kitchen sink? Anyone else got any interesting plumbing pictures? http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike.Housechanges/Muddymike.10616?sort=0
3
3

Repairing cracked cement around chimney pot
Someone has suggested using Acrypol for this repair. Anyone had experience of this stuff? How long would it last? Bachgennewydd
1
1

Laying concrete on tarmac/concrete
Hi A friend of mine has roped me in to helping.... :( He owns a static burger van which is on a slope, he wants to level the area (about 10 feet long by 4-5 feet wide) at one end of it to install...
5
5

TV Arm on plasterboard wall - holes there now.
OK. So I didnt use the right rawlplug first time around and the screws/ plugs have pulled out the hole. Holes are big enough to put your finger in. What should I do now (got correct plugs now)? Fill...
27
27

Low voltage lighting not working after a water leak
Hullo all, Last week, I had a leak develop in the water pipes in my bathroom which came through the bathroom floor, damaging the kitchen ceiling below. Unfortunately, the low voltage lighting in the...
5
5

Concrete repairs
Would any kind and preferably knowledgeable soul be able to advise me on a wee concrete repair problem I have, please? A hairline crack approx 3 feet long has appeared in a section of my print pave...
1
1