4mm flex cable

Hi,
Got an interest problem, I need to extend a feed from a UPS to a server rack. The feed currently terminates in a 32A commando plug and appears to be some kind of armoured cable. The load is only going to be a max of 4kW so 2.5mm will do load wise but I'm worried that someone might reuse the cable somewhere else and assume 32A is possible because of the plugs.
So, I plumped for 4mm flex but as I've found out it's not generally available so have to choose between 4mm armoured or 2.5mm flex. As I understand it the armoured sheath would have to be earthed inside the male commando plug which doesn't seem feasible... Should I just use 2.5mm and stick labels on the plugs? :) Or does anyone know where I can get 4mm flex from?
Thanks,
Peter.

4mm flex
http://www.copper-cable.co.uk/products.php?dosearch=1&searchtype=product&searchfields%5BID%5D=8
Any decent electrical wholesaler (not screwfix) should be able to sort for you.
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:25:04 +0000, fads wrote:

Ta, have rung round and after a few tries found one that sells it. However does the following sound a bit expensive??? :)
7m 4mm 3C white flex: 16+VAT 32A commando plugs: 10.24+VAT for male, 12.75+VAT for the female?
Oh well, I guess it's a surcharge for stocking unusual items.
Thanks,
Peter.

It also reflects high copper prices (copper is up 20%+ since the start of the year!) and a small cutting charge too.
I'd shop around for the BS4343 connectors
look at http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/index.php?doc &cid9&page=2
fads
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:30:00 +0000, fads wrote:

OK.

Yup, found them locally for 10+VAT for a pair! Thanks....
Peter.
drop the size of the feeding MCB..

nobby wrote:

I would suggest that you have missed (several) points.
The OP is intending to construct a plug<>socket unfused extension lead. He is concerned that the lead could be used later, by someone else who wasn't aware of the cable rating.
Even without that factor - the OP is using a UPS as the supply source. Changing the MCB on a UPS is not that easy, particularly as it may not have one. Not that it would be a good idea. Changing the MCB feeding the UPS is not a good idea either. If it trips, the UPS will simply take over..
-- Sue
Peter Spikings wrote:

problem at all. Expensive - but I assume they don't sell much and need to cover the cost of the reel sat on the shelf.
I must admit to preferring to put in fixed wiring infrastructure and hard-wiring the UPS output into that, with a local socket to plug the server into. I don't like long flexes - too easily damaged.
-- Sue
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:06:52 +0000, Palindrome wrote:

Yup.

We're probably either going to run it under the false floor or run it in some conduit round the edge. It's not impossible that we'll have to move the rack!
Thanks,
Peter.

Try TLC http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_Black/index.html Trevor Smith