Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Remove old carpet adhesive from wood
Hi What is the best way to remove old carpet adhesive from a wooden floor. The carpet adhesive was put down around 25 years ago so it is set preety hard. It is still slightly rubbery so I think ita a...
6
6

Sticky problem
I bought a sat nav, my Daughters boyfriend said he would set it up for me , which he did. Although the idiot stuck the black plastic disc for the dashboard on the bloody windscreen. I have no idea how...
5
5

multi fuel stove question
Are there any tips for keeping the glass clean ? kate
5
5

TV cable from one bedroom to another.
Got Sky box in one bedroom and want to run cable to other bedroom. Did originally plan to drill up into the attic, run the cable up there, and then down into the other bedroom. But, I've found its...
15
15

OT: Will These Work?
I have a wireless router and the supplied power adaptor has given up. The spec for the router is 12V DC 1A. I have two spare adaptors with the correct end for the router but one is 9V 1A and the other...
32
32

Staining doors
I have 11 interior pine pane doors to stain/varnish. Any thoughts on the most cost effective, ease of application method? Mike
3
3

Survey needed on new house ???
Hi folks. I'm buying a terraced 2-bed new house, which should be completed by mid-December, and all appears to be going to plan - the roof is being done now. The builder appears to be reputable...
7
7

Warning...
...do not open this link unless you have at least an hour to waste. Popular Mechanics inspires, instructs and influences readers to help them master the modern world. Whether it’s practical DIY...
2
2

Why are fluorescent lights so much better than incandescent lights?
I have heard that changing lights in you house can save a lot of money.. is this true?
5
5

Integral venetian blinds
Venetian blinds sealed within double glazing unit. Can anyone give me a sample price? I've looked online but all I can find is 'contact us for a quote'. I suspect they are expensive! mark
3
3

Double Glazing & Extractor Fans ?
I have absolutely no where in the kitchen to fit an extractor fan. Walls on either side of the door and windows is about 4". Above the windows, can't be fitted there, because of the lintels. Is it...
7
7

DIY Freesat Satellite Dish Installatio
Thought I'd write this up for anyone else contemplating fitting one of these £39.99 dishes. Assembly is pretty straight forward other than the two halves of the main bracket being not that well...
7
7

Built your own solar energie system @ home
Hello everyone, I Just joined this group, and I will introduce myself first. My name is Stefan, I study architecture in the netherlands, I have my own sailboat that needs a lot of work and care, so I...
3
3

Air source heat pump
Hi, I'm looking to possibly get an air source heat pump to replace my very old and woefully inefficient boiler. Can anyone recommend any installers? I've had one round but the quote was...
2
2

E14 = SES bulb?
I see these bulbs advertised as "SES" (small edison screw i think) need SES but the screw looks too big (more like ES) in the picture so i asked the seller - he replied "As per the ad they are E14...
3
3