Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Advice Please!
We have now decided to decorate the bathroom. We live in a 1929 house, and the bathroom has the original white oblong tiles, which are under the wood rail, that I stripped with nitromores years ago....
5
5

Removing ceramic sink
I'm soon to at least attempt to remove a ceramic sink from a worktop. As far as I can tell, there are no fixings, just silicon sealer. I'd like to get it out in one piece and without damaging the...

Glowworm 18hxi boiler - drain question
We have a Glow Worm 18hxi condensing boiler fitted several years back. During this cold spell, we've had some trouble with the drain for it freezing up (the boiler is the in the garage and is teed...
2
2

Insurance , thank god.
"bend" including miss-quoting Part P re Statuatory Instrument :-) For example: - 5 warranty claims over the past 2 years for failed goods - 1 complaint against BASEC re defective SWA (BS5467) - 2...
5
5

No Hot or Cold water, potterton Boiler Accolade Storage Tank Help!
Hi all, I have a Potterton Suprima 60L Boiler and an Accolade 144 AA160 unvented hot water storage system. It is fitted in a 7 year old house, we are experiencing very low temperatures in Scotland at...
1
1

Banging boiler
My 12 year old CH boiler (old style header tank-in-loft type) is getting noisier and noisier, it sounds like someone is inside trying to beat their way out - bang, clunk, bang! not really noticed it...
3
3

Motion activated switches
Can I connect other devices to a motion activated light switch? I am working with a group of youngsters who are trying to create a "soundscape" performance in a complex of buildings. We want a CD...
2
2

Non adhesive filler
I have an Edwardian house with sash & side hung wooden windows, it is impossible to seal the cracks. Any ideas for a non-adhesive filler, in a gun, that I can squeeze into the cracks before I bed down...
7
7

Gas Fire Flue in Attic - British gas did smoke test and it appeared leak...UPDATED
All, Just a little update on my Christmas flue activity. Sealed up the flue with the High temperature silicon and covered that with Aluminium tape. Smoke test was successful and the next step is to...

lighting - dimmer switches
Pretty much all the lighting in my home is based on dimmer switches - eg lounge has 2x60W wall lights on a dimmer switch, that balace with a 100W central bulb on a dimmer switch Should I be stocking...
7
7

Smoking Woodburner
We have had a woodburner for about 4 years now, but in the last few days we have had a problem with smoke coming back from the burner. The flue was swept at the end of October and the fire has been in...
3
3

Drilling question
OK I know this is a bit of a simple question (but then thats me all over!) I tried to put up a guitar hanger that required drilling into a plastered wall. The plaster is at least 30 years old. When I...
14
14

Toilet leak when flush - looks like seal between cistern and bowl
Just noticed this.... Looks like the cistern doesnt fit absolutely squarely on the back of the bowl (Cheers Barratt!). Consequently it looks like its all got gunked up and started leaking a little. Am...
17
17

Sump Pump Water Freezing Outside The House
I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right place but... My sump pump pumps water from my basement to the street in front of my house. When the weather is warm the water flows down the street to the...
11
11

A quick test you might enjoy
Hi, See if you can label each of the following as truth or false. It's nothing difficult and you might pick up a point or two if you're not a professional. This is probably too simplistic for the...
6
6