Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Electricity Substations
OK - sort of DIY... We live fairly close to an electricity substation. It's housed in a building which is approximately single-garage-sized. The building is at the bottom of our 30ft garden - so we...
23
23

gas fires that have no flue
B and Q are doing a selection of wall hung *flueless* gas fires. We had those tv ads a while ago saying how dangerous your gas fire was if the chimney was blocked. We are also warned about providing...
48
48

Chrome heated towel rails - Radiators?
We want to replace conventional small radiator with new plumbed towel rail Just found out that new towel rails dont produce same amount of heat size for size as conventional radiator and we are...
8
8

Two different ends of the gas elbow
Just replacing the kitchen gas hob for a new one. It comes with a right-angled pipe (an elbow), one end of which goes into the hob and one end into the copper supply pipe. The *threaded* part of one...
17
17

Advice needed - Expensive Plumbing Bill
Hi All Well we moved into a new (to us) house and found that the central heating was not working properly. Heating was fine but no hot water. It is a Baxi Bemuda back boiler with a hot water rtank on...
30
30

Cutting down the cost of washing machine powder
I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to make the washing power inside the box. In all events having to pay...
24
24

Trevi TT mixer not always turning on
Have a Trevi TT shower mixer valve in our en-suite. It has been out of action a couple of months or so whilst I got around to re-sealing the shower tray where there was a slight leak. Re-sealing done,...
4
4

Cleaning a fence
Hi Does anyone know the best way to clean off the green stuff (mould ?) from a fence ready for treating ? I think that once it's cleaned it should be allowed to dry in the warmer weather before a...
3
3

Plugs and Fixings
My question relates to the walls of the new 'study', which is basically the back half of the garage. Wall construction is: - single-leaf brick - 25mm wooden framework for polyfoam boards - 55mm...
9
9

Smoke alarm problem
My daughter has two smoke alarms fitted in her house, one up and one downstairs. They are mains operated and by some strange co-incidence, both have decided to take it in turns to 'beep' similar to...
3
3

OT - trade advertising on internet, Yellow Pages etc.
Just wondered what you folks in the trade are finding the best in terms of commercial advertising these days? Reason I ask is a joiner/bespoke cabinet maker friend of mine has just returned to work...
8
8

Cleaning Central Heating System
We have a problem with a couple of radiators not getting hot (2 in lounge and one in dining room) British gas have diagnosed sludge in the system and recommend a power flush at £565. Being a...
15
15

Insulation in kneewall
I have two questions. The first is the technical term for the area I describe. The second is the correct insulation treatment for that area. Our home has sloped ceilings and knee walls on the second...
1
1

Heating question
What is best, leaving central heating on overnight so it just keeps ticking over keeping the house warm. Or having it off for 4 or 5 hours , then it uses a lot of gas to get the temp up?
16
16

Insulating Concrete floors
Our kitchen has vinyl covering on the concrete floor and it is very cold on the feet. What is the best way to insulate the floor under the vinyl? Blair
2
2