Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

I need really restart my live in London
Who help? More about me:

Spring attached to gate
My neighbour had this spring put on the back garden gate by someone, to get it to be self-closing. is not enough compression on it to keep it completely closed and to stop it banging when the wind...
8
8

Sprayable fence stuff with pressure sprayer - anyone used the normal stuff?
I note that the sprayable stuff costs about double that of the normal brushable stuff. To be honest, it just looks like a runnier, watered-down version. Anyone tried watering down the normal stuff and...
7
7

Philips Hostess Trolley
Within a few minutes of switching on the fuse blows - until that moment the element heats up and the on-lamp is lit. The circuitry looks pretty simple, a heating element, a thermostat and a power on...
2
2

bathroom flooring
i am having a new bathroom fitted and can't make my mind up to have a tiled floor or a vinyl floor. It won't be having underfloor heating so i thought the vinyl option would be warmer under foot. Any...
5
5

Hotpoint washer dryer tripping RCD
As above, on a boil wash the machine is tripping the RCD in the main CU which shuts down the whole house. It's been fine for boil washes before, and there's nothing else drawing current from the same...
2
2

Water tank fitted wrong way around by house builder!!!
Got a hot water tank in my airing cupboard upstairs. Never had a problem until recently when (I was told) one of the thermostats went faulty (causing hot water overflow). Anyway, have had someone to...
14
14

Re: Fitting an electric shower? How hard?
Hard enough that I wouldn't want to use one that an amateur had installed. Electricity, water ... .not a good combination.
15
15

Clamp to hold two trampoline poles together?
Not even sure what its called. Basically consists of a U shaped bolt with a thread on each end. The two poles go within the U and then a plate (with two holes for the ends of the bolt) fits over the...
9
9

Fixing flagpole to a wall
Hi Need a temporary solution as I hope to be moving house in the next few months and taking it with me. I recently had a new patio laid which displaced the pole (and the last bit of lawn/earth), and...
6
6

kitchen worktop laminate
On a mitre joint, the laminate has come apart on the join. It has not swollen much yet but I am doing my best to keep the area dry until I can seal it. The seam which is separating is only half an...
5
5

Painting an interior Block wall.
Painting an interior Block wall. Hi I have a workshop being built with an modern insulating Block interior wall. It has a very rough finish which I don't minb as the pointing is spot on, it's solid...
12
12

Earth pin broken
I have a plug in transformer for my digital radio. The earth pin, simply broke off, when I last unplugged it. The device does have the double square box on it, suggesting I don't need an earth, but...
13
13

bathroom lights
i am looking to put new low voltage downlights in my bathroom, any suggestions which type, bulb etc that is easy to maintain chris
6
6

Does my Brick built workshop walls need stabilising ?
Hi I have gained planning permission for and am building a Brick workshop. The Workshop is 11.5m long by 4.2m wide with a wall height of 2.8m and a Wall height of 2.8m with a roof height of 4.2m....
7
7