22mm conversions"/> 22mm conversions"/>

3/4" <-> 22mm conversions

Hi Folks,
I want to replace some unused and leaking joints on part of my gravity heating system (I'll be draining it first). I will probably also replace some of the gate valves when I am at it, as several of these are already faulty. I've noticed that some of the compression fittings are marked 22mm, and others 3/4 inch. It's mostly copper pipes. I've had problems mixing 22mm and 3/4" before, and wonder what is the correct way to handle this.
Can 3/4" olives be used with a 3/4" pipe in a 22mm fitting ?
Can a 22mm olive be used with a 22mm pipe in a 3/4" fitting ?
or do I need special conversion olives, which I have heard about but haven't seen for sale.
One last question - is there any problem with replacing gate valves with lever valves ?
Thanks
Hugh
Hugh wrote:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm scroll down to adaptors - I prefer endfeed
Cheers Gilbert

gilbert wrote: Oops! er, from the main page go pipe and fittings > capillary and scroll down Cheers Gilbert
gilbert wrote:

Thanks Gilbert. I was hoping to reuse some of the compression fittings. But looking at the price of the 3/4" x 22mm compression couplers on that site it would probably be cheaper to change all the pipes to 22mm.

right for plastics. On copper they are perfectly fine. I use them a lot on the older building we keep maintained. The old 3/4'' copper pipes are starting to show some weakness after many, many years of service, but we don't always replace whole sections of it at a time, so we always keep a store of these olives at hand. We've never had any problems so far.
BigWallop wrote:

That's good to know - most of my pipes are copper anyway. I have also read that there is a difference between plastic and copper imperial pipes - where 3/4" copper pipes were measured by the internal diameter and 3/4" plastic by the outer diameter. It seems strange, but might explain the problem I had.
Thanks for your help.