Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Patio Door locks
We have some old patio doors that both slide from the outside. What is the best way to secure both against potential burglary. The bottom track is not flat as there is a ridge. Any advice much...
10
10

RCD tripping intermittently when electric shower is on
My in-laws have a problem where the TCD on the distribution board trips occasionally when the electric shower is on. They have had the shower replaced and the new one also does the same thing. I...
2
2

New to forum and home
He's my situation. My wife and I inherited a house and I've got some work in the basement. It was used as a work shop so it's completely unfinished. My problems are that a) the house is so old the...
7
7

Drinking water from hot tap
When we had the old back boiler it wasn't wise to drink water from the hot water tap (ie from the copper tank). Now we have a new combi boiler, I was wondering if it's OK to drink water straight from...
4
4

Condensate drain.
Wife came downstairs at 10 pm last night to tell me that there was no hot water. Checked the combi in the garage (2 yr old Worcester Bosch Greenstar) and found it was flashing 'EA' on the display -...
4
4

O T:- Oh Do I Respect Your Advice !!!
Hi Everyone, Have you ever been on a suppliers website like Amazon and read the reveiws that people put on goods.... I always get the feeling that they are written by the companies own employees,...
18
18

Single radiator not working
I have one radiator that has gone completely cold. Rest of system is functioning normally, bled it an no airlocks, valve pin in TRV moves freely. What is my problem likely to be and how do I diagnose...
20
20

Bloody fairy lights
I have lashed out on some new outdoor LED fairy lights and risked life and limb decorating a large tree in the front garden with them. They are of the type that include a control box for selecting...
1
1

Keyhole (mortice) draught (rubber) excluder/stopper (for mortice lock)??
I'm looking (probably along with a lot of people this week!) for a draught excluder for a mortice lock keyhole. My Mum is (rightly) complaining of the draught whistling through the door lock. It's for...
47
47

Top-up loft insulation and boarding.
I have just ordered 'top-up' loft insulation because my existing insulation is just level with the joists. My house was built mid 1970's and has a very shallow roof (impossible to stand up in the...
17
17

Using 75mm Quintherm Foil covered insulation board.
I want to insulate a room which has two exterior walls. These are solid stone walls around 0.75metres thick. What is the best way to deal with the job? I have bought some 3*2" timber to "box in" the...
7
7

Fairy Lights
Hi all. It's that time of year again, and (as always) the assorted strings of lights which all seemed to be working when we put them away last January, now have a few "dead" bulbs. First question......
7
7

Indesit washing machine hangs
Our Indesit WG820 washing machine seems reluctant to enter the spin mode. I took the back off to see whether a belt was worn out, but no. I wiggled a few connections to see if they were a bit corroded...
10
10

Does toilet pan need bedding?
I have removed the pan from a downstairs toilet to make tiling the floor easy. Question is when I re install it should it be bedded in something, if so what? Or does it simply stand on the tiles? Mike
10
10

Cavity wall installer wants to install a vent for an old gas fire - cannot determine the fire output
Hi A cavity wall insulation installer was to install today but said I required a vent for the gas fire. The fire is on the chimney breast and vent up the chimney. I will happily pay the £50 extra if...
20
20