Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Upvc doors
Shortly to have some new doors ,how do the professionals deal with alarm contacts and switches ?? The magnets are currently let into the doors and surrounds, fitter says that will not do with plastic,...
3
3

Mains socket under combi boiler - ok?
I'm trying to put a mains socket in a kitchen and get it as far away from the sink as possible but that will mean it has to go under the boiler. Do the regs allow a mains sockt to be installed under a...
40
40

Heat Flow meters
Hi, This probably isn't a DIY job - but knowing how knowledgeable this group is, I'm hoping someone can advise. I'm involved with a local charity which rents out part of its buildings to another...

Van written off
My Peugot Partner van has just been written off. 2004 123,00 miles and only worth £1225 on the book price. It was for commercial use. Plainly not my fault as the Dodge Charger pulled out of a car...
5
5

4mm birch plywood supplier?
4mm birch plywood supplier? --------------------------- I bought bulk 4mm Russian Birch Plywood from a supplier in midlands 5ft x 5ft for £6 each. Good stuff!! They don't have them no more I just...
3
3

Cleaning Alkaline Battery leakage
Small torch forgotten in a rucksack, has had a leakage from an Alkaline battery. Is there any easily available household chemical that I am best using to flush the torch out with. Thanks.
11
11

Base/Floor for metal garden shed?
Hi, Got a metal garden shed, 8' x 6', it's going in a space which is mostly patio-slabbed, I'll lay more to level it all off. What would you recommend to use as a floor for the shed? Will the slabs be...
1
1

drill
Want to give my daughter a power drill. Any thoughts on what/price to spend? I have a Bosch which is great but rather expensive, have bought a cheaper item previously but the battery did not hold...
6
6

Dulux paint
My son recently painted a number of rooms in his house with Dulux white gloss, which has now gone yellowish and will need to be repainted. I understand that this is a recent and common problem with...
4
4

JMB cordless power tools
Does anyone know where I can get replacement 14.4 vold batteries for the JMB cordless power tools ? None on eBay even ! Jim Hawkins
1
1

How do I distribute the loads on a 7th edition consumer unit?
I'd be grateful for any help with distributing the loads between the two RCCBs on my 7th edition consumer unit. I have: 1 radial upstairs lighting 1 radial downtairs lighting 1 upstairs ring main 1...
20
20

painting
Folks, I have always papered my walls when redecorating,but I will just emulsion them this time when I strip them.Will I need to treat the walls in any way as they'll be full of wallpaper paste?Cheers
4
4

Installing Schuko socket
Hi. I'm a newbie to this group, so apologies if this has been covered before (though I cannot find any mention). I would quite like a Schuko socket in my utility room for a couple of appliances fitted...
7
7

Gas cooker bayonet disconnect/reconnect - DIY or not?
Moving house in the next few weeks, and was wondering whether to book a gas bloke to disconnect the cooker here and re-connect it in the new place, or whether it was a simple/safe job for me to do...
1
1

Autocad plans?
A recent thread on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup recommended Drawsight as a (relatively) simple free CAD app see worth a look. Chris Discover DraftSight®: professional-grade CAD software that lets you...
21
21