Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

is satellite cable suitable for an outside aerial?
I just bought an SLX aerial from Toolstation thinking there was coax cable included but there is not. I already have coax in the loft so I only need 10 metres or so to connect from the aerial on the...
7
7

DIY forums
Help, I used to have a DIY on outlook express forums but since upgrading to Win 7 I unable to get outlook express. Any thoughts on how to get those from some other method. thanks
6
6

Grout Vs Caulk
I have a 2 year old shower stall that is ceramic tile on the floors & on the walls. It is grouted where the wall tiles meet the floor tiles. The grout on two of these wall/floor areas is cracking...
1
1

Roof coating
"Smaller roofs in good, serviceable condition can be __a weekend DIY project__." Is this correct? Any ideas of costs? Roof coating - Wikipedia
4
4

Papering over lining paper
Folks,I am just about to paper over emulsioned lining paper.But,do I need to sizr it beforehand?Cheers
3
3

Over a grand to move the electric meter!
Was talking to a mate of mine who is having his electric meter moved from one room to the next and they've quoted over a grand for the job - this is British Gas apparently who also do electrics. So...
30
30

activated charcoal & toilet smells...
In a conventional toilet smells are exhausted by a high level fan, typically 60m^3/hr run for 10-15mins. When the toilet is a commode in a bedroom, with irritable bowel syndrome, the odour issue is...
4
4

circular saw problem....
Hi. I got a Titan circular saw from Screwfix a couple of years ago. The brushes had worn down to the springs about a year ago. I had contacted Screwfix who then directed me to a spare parts supplier....
2
2

Solar panels - free British Gas installation
Anyone had any experience with this? They are considering installing them for free and giving me half the profits. Just waiting on house deeds etc..... It's photovoltaic I'm going for as I don't use...
4
4

Heat pump - a good idea?
I heat my garage with a fan heater (for parrots in an indoor aviary). I= 'm considering buying this to save money, does anyone think this is a st= upid idea before I go ahead? Current cost is =A31 a...
11
11

Where is the main earthing terminal?
I have a TN-S supply and there is a really old one-pole connection at the incoming main for the main earthing terminal which both me and my neighbour's earths are connected to - there's no room for...
7
7

Plug in timer for 8kw heater
Hi Could someone provide some links for plug-in timers to suit an 8kw heater? (£10 or lower) I'm a bit wary of these getting too hot and exploding! I know I'm probably overreacting, but I'm terrified...
7
7

Treehouse
Hiya I've been looking for some info on a treehouse I read in a magazine about 8-10 yrs ago. Heres what i know. 1) It's in Africa. 2) A couple from the UK built it (I think) 3) I think it may have...
2
2

Bathroom extractor fans
I have five bathroom extractor fans in the house, three of them huge Manrose box units that must be 15 years old, and all are looking mucky and/or making unpleasant noises. Any recommendations on what...
26
26

Hot water temperature
What is the maximum recommended temperature for domestic hot water? A plumber recently turned down our cylinder thermostat to 60C, saying the high temperature could generate bubbles and damage our...
22
22