10m extension cable and surge protector

I need a 10m cable to be able to hook up a wireless router and a dect phone to the power supply - problem I've got at the moment, is that phone socket is nowhere near an electricity socket. The option of running an extension cable from the phone socket to a electric socket is not available.

For whatever reason, I seem to suffer from a lot of power surges and spikes which in the past means I'm constantly changing light blubs, and I've had problems of the transformer in my TV going pop when I turned the oven off (even though its on a seperate circuit) and two PC PSUs going after not particularly heavy or long use. These problems have not occured since attached power surge protectors on almost everything and I've changed all my light bulbs to low energy which don't rely on a fillament so less likely to fail.

I would like to find a power surge device with a 10m cable but they just don't seem available - only ones I've seen a big and bulky reels. Have thought about simply buying a 2m cabled one and changing the cable to 10m, but looking at the back of most of them, they appear impossible to be able to get into, which is hardly surprising given the potential risk.

I've been looking at the power surge blocks (see link below) and wonder if I can happily run a normal 10m extension cable off that. I appreciate that the individual items on the extension cable won't be protected between each other, but assume that the extension cable will be protected from potential surges or spike that may occur from elsewhere on the wiring in my house because of the block.

Anybody see any potential problem with that?

news.ntlworld.com

No

Reply to
malc