Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

What is the proper way to apply silicon bath seal?
I always buy the highest quality silicon bath seal. The present one I'm using is Unibond High Performace Bath & Shower Sealer. It does a great job but my nightmare is its application. Even...
13
13

Gloss paint with wrong undercoat
Hello all, We have just paid for the external woodwork of our house to be painted and I am not happy with the final colour!! We chose a dark green (ICI - Hollybush Green). This is a high gloss paint....
1
1

Cooker Hood Venting
Has anybody experience of using recirculation (with charcoal filters) rather than venting to the exterior? I'm particularly concerned about loss of efficiency and fan noise. TIA Patrick
2
2

Simple light switch
In my garage there is a light switch - it ought to be simple - the cable from the power supply comes into the switch and then goes out to the light. Most of the simple switches in the market seem to...
10
10

Compression fittings.
I have to move a rad from a pressurized system jointed entirely with soldered fittings.Whenever I have tried to use thesemyself they never seem to the solder bubbles out in my desire to make sure it...
4
4

Granite worktops restor and polish
I have a new kitchen with acres of black granite. I've just noticed that there are a few stains where items haven't been moved and moisture has collected underneath and I can also see some...
1
1

Lifting individual blocks from block paving
A relative of mine has had her Ford Ka parked on my drive (block paved) for two months. She has just removed it but I was concerned to find that the blocks immediately beneath the four wheels have...
1
1

Installing condensing boiler
We are having our existing LPG boiler replaced with an oil burner. Ideally I'd like a condensing boiler however there are 2 potential issues: The boiler is below ground - presumably this can be...

I am concerned about the rain water from his garage
My neighbour has just had a large brick garage built within 2 meters of our house (6 meters from his house) - They have run the rain water guttering for this to drain at the back of the garage (our...
26
26

Halogen Spots 12v vs Mains?
I'm having some (12 or so) new halogen spot/down lights fitted and I'm trying to choose between 12 volt or Mains A few years back 12 volt spots started to emerge on the basis they used much...
12
12

Old house wiring earth
In a couple of days time the street my mother lives in is having its water supply replaced. I'm thinking she is going to lose the earth connection completely . At present the meter tails go to an...
1
1

Which is the best place to put a TRV on a radiator
I am upgrading my radiators which have been in the house since the 70's. My question is the TRV spec states it can be used on any input or output of the radiator in either horizontal or vertical...
16
16

Washing machine fault codes
Any chance anybody here might have the fault codes for an ariston margerhita washing machine? I have had a quick google but I've had a bereavement in the family and am pushed for time. First fault...
3
3

Door height
Anyway know if it is permitted to have an internal door in a house with a height of 6 feet (1.8 metres)? A friend wants to fit a mezzanine in a flat, and to do so would need to reduce one of the...
4
4

Boiler problem
Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Highflow 400, its been installed maybe 10 years. Had quite a few problems with it over the years but all repaired faily quickly. At the beginning of summer the boiler kept...
1
1