Wiring size for new panel

I have an existing shop that has a 200amp panel. Iam now building a house that is 40 ft from the shop. What wire size would be needed? Should i run the new panel as a sub panel?

------------------------------------- Dan

Reply to
dsmith707

personally I'd give serious consideration to running a totally seperate service, meter and all...

As to what size wire: what size panel?

Run as a sub panel? Yes, or run a totally seperate service as I mentioned above...

Reply to
PeterD

Thats what I did. The electric company calls it a garage meter. If I had a survey, it would have had a separate address. I liked the garage meter idea.

Reply to
bilb2765

Around here, the cost of doing that is often cheaper than running wiring to the garage, too! And multiple meters are heavily discounted. (and, you can figure out how much power that new table saw is using...)

Reply to
PeterD