Wiring size for new panel

I have an existing shop that has a 200amp panel. Iam now building a house that is 40 ft from the shop. What wire size would be needed? Should i run the new panel as a sub panel? ------------------------------------- Dan
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:00:59 +0000, dsmith707_at_wildblue_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (dsmith707) wrote:

personally I'd give serious consideration to running a totally seperate service, meter and all...
As to what size wire: what size panel?
Run as a sub panel? Yes, or run a totally seperate service as I mentioned above...
PeterD wrote:

Thats what I did. The electric company calls it a garage meter. If I had a survey, it would have had a separate address. I liked the garage meter idea.

Around here, the cost of doing that is often cheaper than running wiring to the garage, too! And multiple meters are heavily discounted. (and, you can figure out how much power that new table saw is using...)