windows

Wondering which type of windows for down in texas, vinyl or aluminum framed windows, which one ya'll think works better down here???
with all the rain you are getting I would suggest port holes
It all depends on the house and what you want from the window
vinyl should do fine and they are standard you want to get gas filled low e glass
Older wood windows have lasted for close to a hundred years maybe more if taken care of and vinyl because the plastic degrades over time has a built in shelf life. You also have the difference of single pain vs the gas filled and probably at some point the gas will escape.
but for the life of the home or the time you will be in it I would look more at how well the casement is made and what your budget is.
If you were in a tornado or huricane prone area you would want the high temper glass that is rated for impacts.
so are you more confused?
Budget Style Quality
and remember that a medium grade or even a high grade window from one manufacturer may cost the same or less then a lesser quality window made by a big name company.
and check your tax rebates and even if your local electric company may give a rebate based on energy efficency upgrades.

Well, with what I have now in my walls, most anything would be a improvment on them, winter time comes, if its realy winter in Texas, you can feel the cold come through them, least the wife can, so got to make her happy, may look at some aluminum framed models and see whats out there, but thats whats in here now, single pane style. Oh yes portholes, LOL...did not miss that, and looks like more rain comming down too.

New windows are expensive and you would need many years to recover the energy efficiency bonus of new, low-e windows.
You could always keep what you have, pull off the casings and spray a foam-in-a-can in the cavity to seal them from air infiltration.
If air is just leaking through the window, you can add a temporary storm window in the form of a plastic frame and shrinkable plastic over the window (that's what I did a few years ago when it got really cold and needed a quick fix for one casement that seems to leak air. Worked great as far as doing what it intended).

Lame joke of the day:
Dear Diary,
Last year I replaced all the windows in my house with the expensive double-pane energy-efficient kind. Then this week I got a call from the contractor who installed them. He was complaining that the work had been completed a whole year ago and I still had not paid for them. Now just because I'm a blonde doesn't mean that I am automatically stupid. So, I told him just what his fast-talking sales guy had told me last year... Namely, that in ONE YEAR these windows would pay for themselves! Helllllooooo??? It's been a year!
There was only silence at the other end of the line, so I finally just hung up. He did not call back. Boy, I bet he felt dumb!!
on 8/3/2007 5:24 PM Dennis said the following:

You buy a new car with better mileage and there is never any recovery.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY