Window Allowance includes what?

Hello folks,

I'm finishing a contract (me HO). The contract specified a window allowance. I ordered the windows. They came in at less than the allowance. I'm deducting the full allowance from what the contract specified. The GC is balking a bit saying: His allowance allowed for installation -- not just material.

He says that is standard for allowances (at least around here). I'm not surprised he would say this -- but would like a third party(ies) opinion(s). Can anyone out there say yes or no: An allowance for windows includes a portion for installation?

thanks, bryan

Reply to
Kunta Kinte

What does it say in the contract? Allowances are typically used when an item(s) are not specified (color, style, make, model, etc) in the specifications, drawings, or other documents. Whether it in includes labor is usually spelled out in the contract, and it depends on what type of contract you have.

I'm not sure why you would deduct the full allowance. If the allowance was for $5000 and you only spent $4000, then that is $1000 less you should have to pay on the total contract.

Reply to
hawgeye