Why do manufacturers make ridiculous claims?

hehheh You obviously don't wear heels. You forgot to account for the sizable percentage of weight on the balls of the feet. Why do I suddenly feel like Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde?....................Bend....and Snap!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Well done, Bob! Let's see if they revise their claim to a number a couple of orders of magnitude more realistic.

RicodJour

I was considering the load case when "she's" rocking on her heels. :)

I didn't consider the dynamic effect of foot fall "impact" while walking

I think i also may have over estimated the heel tip diameter (I'm wearing flats today & didn't measure or reseach tip dia)

in any case I'm sure you get my example........heel tips are hard even oak floors so my number of ~540 psi is in the ball park

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Like I said, you obviously don't wear heels. Go get a pair, strap them on and try that stunt. (Make sure their not anybody's 'good ones'.)

Yes, probably the right order of magnitude. I'm just teasing you because you can work a calculator but not a pair of Jimmy Choos ; )

Michael Bulatovich

Most of the responses you are reading here appear to be from kids who are not associated with engineering nor with how engineered products are marketed (note the off-topic preoccupation with the falsely-accused Duke Lacrosse college kids).

Some are arguing that the underlying soil is not strong enough to support a truck, which is of course ridiculous. The substrate conditions would be engineered to take the assumed reactions necessary, while the manufacturers product is design to provide a soil base and drainage stratum. It is assumed that the underlying soils would be considered in any installation, and improved if needed. This product's advantage is only in the addition of adding grass to such areas; already deemed capable of withstanding the loading of vehicular traffic.

Reviewing the test reports provided, it appears to me (my opinion) that the testing performed by the University of Southern Mississippi is completely within established guidelines and have sufficient credibility. The only additional qualification I would ask to see is the signature of a licensed professional, registered in the state where the tests were conducted or from the state where the product is manufactured. I work in plan review for a nationally recognized testing laboratory and review test reports similar to this product, on a regular basis.

As always, the best results is the feedback from existing installations. If you still have any concerns over the product's durability, I would recommend contacting the manufacturer to see what problems and failures are occurring in the field.

Reply to
Dennis

)

--

MB-

You have no idea what's in my closet.... :)

cheers Bob

I knew you were kidding me.

& I just pulled the example out of the air..... I divided the weight bu two but I also chose 120lbs (wishful thinking?) ...could have been 150+ :)

I refuse to go measure the heel tips...even too geeky for me.

Reply to
Bobk207

Its doubtful that piece of plastic will support 97,000 pounds, regardless of what's supporting the plastic.

Reply to
Don

I find it complicated. It's not exactly the plastic providing the support but the plastic is containing a granulate that is taking the support. (The hex structure is famously strong, even used in XB-70 wings).

Perhaps we should calculate the bursting strength of one of the hexagon cells. Using 700#/sq.in, which is approximately the load bearing of soft wood. When struck with a hammer gets dented, iow's the hammer blow exceeds the compression strength of the wood. If I were to take a hexagonal shaped thingy into one of the hexs filled with sand, and struck it equally hard would the plastic hex burst? If that's a fair test, off hand, I think it will survive. IMHO, I think the spec is ok. (Where's good ole Bob Morrison when we need him?) Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

A lot of words that don't say very much, and what they do say is misleading.

Obviously the product is intended for creating a drivable green surface. Thanks for clarifying that - the name grassy paver had confused me.

"It is assumed that the underlying soils..." That's your idea of engineering? ASSuming bearing capacity and soil conditions?

An 18 wheeler typically weighs in at around 80,000 pounds maximum load (federally mandated maximum). An average semi tire has approximately 60 square inches of contact area - that's ~7.5 SF of tire contact area per truck, or roughly

10,000 PSF.

If that grassy paver stuff has a rating of TEN times the maximum load allowed on federal highway - with the graded, layered and compacted base - why the nifong do they use asphalt and concrete for roads?

Your grasp of the numbers is as faulty as the manufacturer's claims. Move on - please. This is getting embarrassing.

RicodJour

Interesting, having drove many interstate miles you get to notice the right hand lane has more tire dents. I suppose the surface temp in a hot sun could hit 120F, certainly can't walk on it in bare feet, so maybe more. Maybe that creates viscosity issues.

It costs to nifong much.

Anybody gotta a nifong industrial sized press? Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Did you notice the load claims at "high" and low temperatures? The high temperature was 75 degrees. Where's that supposed to be and what's it supposed to represent? HDPE softens considerably with temperature. They don't attempt to make any disclaimers about climate. What do you think would be a normal high temperature for a paving product? I'd guess about 20 degrees higher than 75.

It'd cost a fraction of a real road and would shut all the greenies up. Someone would have suggested it and there'd be test roads under construction.

I don't doubt there are plenty of locations and applications for their stuff. It's just the ridiculous claims that are nifonged.

RicodJour

With gravel on the bottom, inside the hex spaces and on top, how much load do you think the plastic forms are actually carrying?

Reply to
Dennis

Is this the part where I answer a silly question with a silly answer?

Reply to
Don

it's the weakest link principle

don't pay me no mind, Im just agreeing with you

Tony

why he keep asking about the damn gravel now if his HEAD was in the plastic, yeah, maybe 100G

just kidding!

Tony

cvmikeray had written this in response to

:

Hello,

The test data we post on the web site is from the Mississippi Polymer Institute and the research paper can be downloaded there for review.

This load data shows the compression strength based on standard tests for this type of material. Any major installation should consult proper Engineering standards.

Please feel free to download the data or give us a call if you would like to speak on this subject one on one.

Thanks for considering our products.

Mike Ray - Product Distributor and owner of the website http:

(205)999-1744

------------------------------------- D>>I mean, really ridiculous. It's insulting. Case in point:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction,alt.architecture - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
cvmikeray