Why are bathroom fans in ceiling?

Page 2 of 2
Just from a practical standpoint, unless the exhaust fan is located on an exterior wall, it is easier to vent the fan if it is in the ceiling. Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall. A ceiling mount allows you to duct to the outside via attic, or the space between joists.

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.
Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3" - 6" duct *through* the top plate?

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.
Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3" - 6" duct *through* the top plate?
I think that kind of implies what the problem is -----
If you try to run the duct up inside the wall and "through" the top plate you effectively destroy the top plate?

I read the problem to be that it would be *harder* to run the vent through the top plate than to simply run it into the attic through the ceiling, like it would be harder to run a wire through the top plate than to run it through the ceiling.
I don't consider a complete severing of the top plate to be "through it".
I believe "through" implies that there is some material left surrounding the hole.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The reason the fan is there or required is for moisture not smells. It's called a "fart fan" as a joke. The moisture occurs from shower/bathing and usually rises because of the warmth. The codes usually specify a certain amount of "air changes" per hour for an exhaust fan.
How about you install one in your floor and see how that works.
Is your smell thick enough to sink?

what? is your smell thicker than the sink? heh