Why are bathroom fans in ceiling?

Yup... to scare the crap out of you req

Reply to
reqluq

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.

Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3"

- 6" duct *through* the top plate?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: Mounting the fan in an interior wall presents the problem of running the duct, presumably 3"-6", through the top plate of the wall.

Through the top plate? How wide are your walls that you could run a 3"

- 6" duct *through* the top plate?

I think that kind of implies what the problem is -----

If you try to run the duct up inside the wall and "through" the top plate you effectively destroy the top plate?

Reply to
Doug Brown

I read the problem to be that it would be *harder* to run the vent through the top plate than to simply run it into the attic through the ceiling, like it would be harder to run a wire through the top plate than to run it through the ceiling.

I don't consider a complete severing of the top plate to be "through it".

I believe "through" implies that there is some material left surrounding the hole.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The reason the fan is there or required is for moisture not smells. It's called a "fart fan" as a joke. The moisture occurs from shower/bathing and usually rises because of the warmth. The codes usually specify a certain amount of "air changes" per hour for an exhaust fan.

Reply to
FatChance

How about you install one in your floor and see how that works.

Reply to
Stephen King

Is your smell thick enough to sink?

Reply to
Glenn

"Glenn" wrote in news:4852e128$0$5717$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

what? is your smell thicker than the sink? heh

Reply to
Stephen King