Which is cheaper Hardibacker siding or stucco?

My house has both, and I'm familiar with applying both, but I really don't know how to calculate the costs of material for stucco. Anyone know off-hand which is cheaper, the hardi-backer plank siding or stucco? Since I'm doing the work myself, please delete labor costs.

Reply to
Alan

Hardie-backer plank? Do You mean the Hardipanel? "Hardipanel" is a

4x8, 4x9 or even 4x10 sheet that you can get with a the "stucco" pattern embossed in the sheet. That's roughly $.80 to $.90 per foot depending on where you live. Plus the trim boards at approx. $3.00 board foot. (5/4x4 is approx. $1.00 L/F)

And depending on which style of "Stucco" you are talking about it could be around $2.25 SF for materials on traditional over wire.

A DEFS application that my company applies around Iowa (with labor)is around $6.00 applied over smooth Hardipanel. Depending on the square footage.

I hope that helps!

Chuck B ~

Advanced Stucco of Iowa (advancedstuccoiowa.com)

Reply to
CB

Thanks Chuck for the reply,

No, actually, I meant the hardi-backer horizontal lap boards. I don't like the panel system by any company, because it looks "artificial", particularly if the edges aren't finished. My stucco work will be the traditional over wire method (not chicken wire and stucco nail though). There's some new mesh stuff, and over 30lb felt, I figure my OSB should be fairly safe from problems of rot. $2.25 per sq ft?

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Installation cost is only part of it. Hardiboard has to be painted, so there's more of a maintenance cost.

As far as _local_ costs - since no one knows where you are - why not pick up the phone and call a masonry supply yard and ask? You can figure the required amount of stucco and base coats through a volume calculation. From one manufacturer's web site regarding the color coat: COVERAGE: one l00 lb. bag covers 50 sq. ft. at 1/4" thickness

RicodJour

Thanks for the advice an researching the costs. Basically, it's easier to send out a message like this than to get the local masonry supply yard to pick up a phone and ask a dumb question like this. Besides, the guy on the phone often doesn't know the answer as he's just a clerk. But, I've got a rough idea now. The maintenance issue seems dubious. Is the scratch coat really that durable? Good quality paint lasts a long time if applied right.

Alan

Reply to
Alan