Where buy high quality low voltage landscape lights ?

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@d38g2000prn.googlegroups.com... On Jun 13, 9:21 am, "Dioclese" wrote:

Took a quick look at the biggest spotlight at the above store that one might think would be best suited to get a decent amount of light for a flag on top of a pole. Look a the specs: 8 LEDS, 5 volts, plastic,

2lbs. If you're trying to make a case for solar, that sure ain't the way to do it. Stating the light output, how long it will maintain the light, etc would be a good start.

======

What a s**nk... you picked out the least expensive lamps at the web site... a set of 5 @ $70.. what do you expect for like $12 each, cast stainless steel with a 20 year guarantee... duh I think for the price they're a great buy, better than low voltage sets, and if not abused by stepping on them or running a lawnmower over them will probably give many years of service.

And you cannot judge illumination by wattage... when I went to school I was taught that watts is a measure of energy consumed, not output... high wattage appliances typically consume most power to generate heat... there are actually idiots out there (many idiots) who buy kitchen mixing machines by wattage... I guess they wanna use them as hair driers. The same lumens can be focused or diffused. I have various Mag-Lites that throw very intense light over great distance, powered by a couple AA cells... would definitely illuminate a flag atop a 20 ft pole, with a more efficient battery (such as is typical with solar lights) it would illuminate a flag all night With solar lights (any lights), depending on use the lower wattage may very well be the better choice... I have recessed fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen that give tremendous illumination yet consume very little wattage. Anyone who discounts solar lighting is truely a pinhead... some 70 years ago the same kind of pinheads poopooed fluorescent lights. Do yoose realize that the first automobiles used oil lamps as head lights, now they use high intensity lamps that are many times more efficient than those from just a few short years ago... believe it or not there are still many people (most of the world) who light their homes (when they do) exclusively with oil lamps and candles... they don't need any stinkin' new fangled 'lectricity. Folks better start getting used to solar energy, it's the future. The gas station has already been here more than twice as long as it will exist into the future... your great grandchildren will only know a gas station in a museum. It really doesn't matter that there will shortly be no more US made automobiles, it was bound to happen, better sooner than later, it's the best thing could have happened... need is the mother of invention. Again the US will be at the forefront. The arabs are again proving that they are the inferior people, they have more sun than oil, yet what are they doing about it.

Reply to
brooklyn1

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:43:38 GMT, against all advice, something compelled "brooklyn1" , to say:

Well, I can't really imagine why anyone would want solar lighting. I mean, when the sun is out, can't you see things well enough?

Sheesh.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Does your mommy still hafta wipe your tushy... if it's so important to you there's an 800 number or send email. Lumens aren't very important with outdoor lighting... typical indoor lighting reflects off the walls,ceiling, floors, and furnishings back into the room... outdoor lighting travels to infinity... type of source/light and how it's concentrated is what's important... that's why there are floodlights, spot lights, etc.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Ah, Shelly's charm offensive (or should that be offensive charm? Hmmmmm).

Reply to
Billy

I never suggested judging illumination by wattage. I only pointed out that they have NO SPEC of any kind for the light output for the solar light I looked at. Should I waste my time looking at every light there? If you have a great example of a solar light with specs that can be used to light a flag at the top of a pole, I'm sure we'd all like to see a direct link to it.

/.when I went to school I was

And now you engage in racism. That should go a long way to convince people of your credibility and the merit of your arguments.

Reply to
trader4

brooklyn1

Be happy that your name isn't Christian.

From: Sheld> I own a business "Professional Pond Maintenance and Fish Care".

That's your first untruth... you *operate* a business.... you don't own a business until your IRS return doesn't show you're operating at a loss.

That's your second untruth.

Your parents must have had high hopes for you to succeed in the arts... you're not going to do well in business unless you change your name.

-----

As you see, Shelly has always been narcissistic, pompous, wrong, and denigrating of others. Good luck in your conversations with him.

Reply to
Billy

Nah. My mommy's dead. Now your daughter licks my ass clean. Still waiting on the solar light lumen spec, though ... anytime you're ready to back up your claims with actual facts.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Yep, and here's some details that some people may be interested in regarding that:

See bottom of the page. I don't like their method of moving the light way up the flagpole. To start out with, its ugly in appearance. Part of the illumination is blocked by the flagpole itself. The usual method consists of surface/ground mounted units to illuminate all areas the flag could possibly furl. Double that distance and mount on the ground, you have 1/4 the illumination for the Liberty Light on the flag. You'll need more than one Liberty Light for a stand-alone flag pole. The building side mounted flagpole, one is enough. They throw in the Lux factor for an idea of its illumination. Look here:
I'm all for green. We need to use what's available including the sun. What we get when we use a solar-powered product needs more research by the consumer before a purchase. We also need uniformity of illumination specifications, along with stating that as a comparison of what we know. Like illumination compared to a certain wattage standard incandescent light bulb when citing illumination of an LED.

Reply to
Dioclese