what to coat wood with so cement won't stick

I need to buils some small forms ( 2X 6 size). What is good to coat the wood so the cement won't stick to it when I take it a part.
If you are trying to protect the concrete you poured probably nothing is needed. If you want to protect the wood maybe Pam or some other sprayable oil.
peace dawg.
:I need to buils some small forms ( 2X 6 size). What is good to coat : the wood so the cement won't stick to it when I take it a part. :

the pros use a 'releasing agent' which is usual an oil based product IINM.
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/agents-concrete-form-release-580670-1.html
http://www.wrmeadows.com/Msds-2K-CAN/3150-112.pdf
would seem to indicate that fuel oil (diesel) might be a cheap and nasty "solution" depending on the application.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

I use waste motor oil, but I would think corn oil or anything cheap and oily should work.
JK

Do you get any staining at all with the dark stuff? I was going to play around with some castingthis summer....

Don't know what you mean be "casting". I was referring to forms for driveways, sidewalks, etc. The edges almost always end up at or below grade, but they don't look particularly bad when I strip the forms.
JK

I've been storing a few bags of redimix next to the furnace for way to long...thought I'd try making a bird bath.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Then I wouldn't recommend waste oil unless it is from your deep fryer!
JK

Point taken, unless I'm trying to poison the little bastards... to get them to stop pooping on my deck....<monstrously evil plan forming...>
It's just called form oil in the trades....Google search returns a bunch........all kinds of different things but mostly petroleum based. Diesel fuel works but stinks to high heaven as always. Kiss the wood goodbye!
Dan

Not as formwork.

Vegetable oil works great for me.

A sheet of thin plastic like painters use to drape around projects. This would keep the cement from coming in contact with the wood and totally reusable.
Saran Wrap and a little KY Jelly.

anything like painters plastic or saran rap would be prone to shredding, unless you can be very gentle. also the wrinkles will show in the end product.

and if you did get wrinkles, you may never get the plastic entirely off the concrete.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca