well water supply

Page 1 of 2

-------------------------------------
Hi, I hope to build a small campground on my property. I need to supply water to the sites from one or several wells. Eventually there will be 50 sites requiring 50 gallons per day each for a total of 2500 gallons per day. Rather than having to drill several wells I plan on purchasing a 3000 gallon water storage tank (about $1000) to supply the camp sites. I'll fill the tank with only one small pump and save on drilling and pump costs. But, how do I create water pressure from the storage tank to the supply lines to the campsites? The tank will be at an elevation higher than the campsites but I don't think it will be sufficient to create enough water pressure.
The cost of drilling several wells with the standard small storage tanks seems to be much higher.
Any advise would be appreciated.
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14057 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
"bmancanfly" wrote ...

Sounds like you need to do some calculations or hire an engineer to do it for you. You may find that gravity may provide enough pressure and volume, otherwise you're looking at an additional pump with a pressure tank. 2500 gal/day seems like a lot even for 50 sites and unless your has the capacity, I suspect you'll be drilling a lot of wells.
hawgeye wrote: ...

It may require you hire an engineer or otherwise get permits, etc., since you will, in essence, be running a public water system. Virtually all will depend on where this site is located the resulting zoning requirements and code requirements, etc., ...

Well, 2500gal/day --> 1.7 gpm so even a 6-7 gpm well would only have to run 25% or so, so it would seem at least feasible.
But, the previous questions make dealing w/ any of the other details meaningless until know about them...
bmancanfly had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-well-water-supply-14756-.htm : thanks for your reply hawgeye, Here's the math I'm working with - maybe I'm wrong. If I have one well pump at 20 gpm (1200 gallons an hour) running for 2-3 hours a day that will fill the storage tank with ease. And the campsites are then supplied as needed from the storage tank - allowing me to have only one well/pump. I think it will work. I guess I will need a separate pump to pressurize the water from the storage tank to the campsite water supply line. If I need to drill numerous wells it's gonna cost a fortune. Any advice?
------------------------------------- hawgeye wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14060 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
I think you are being unrealistic to expect a well to produce 20 gallon a minute even for a few minutes. Better check into water well productivity a litte more.

gravity only supplies .4 of a pound per foot. so, i guess if he could get his tank 100 feet in the air, it MIGHT work. But then again, you'd then need a pump to get the water up 100 feet, so youmight just as well leave the tank low and use the same pump to make the pressure in the system. It does NOT take an engineer to make simple hydraulic flow calculations. Especially for something like the OP is proposing. The main concern is that his well could supply 2500 gallons a day. That's a hundred+ gallons an hour continous, (24x7) and that would be some kind of magnificent well in my opinion.
.

Steve Barker DLT wrote: ...

2500/24/60 --> 1.74 gpm -- that's not particularly large well at all--as noted earlier, 6-7 gpm is only 25-30% duty cycle.
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 18:27:22 GMT, brettgiardiello_at_bellsouth_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (bmancanfly) wrote:

Please can this spamming signature! It is not (repeat not) appropirate to promote your company on USENET!
since when are there rules on usenet? I'd be more inclined to say it's not appropriate to mis-spell on usenet.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 18:27:22 GMT, brettgiardiello_at_bellsouth_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (bmancanfly) wrote:

(spam snipped)
First contact your state, county and local regulators about this. In some areas this constitutes a community water supply and you may find there are requirements that you don't realize (scheduled testing, water quality assurance, for example)
Use a pump.

Get a pressure tank with an air bladder inside. It will store water under pressure and then the pump will go on when the pressure is less. Water tower? I have a well and supply a 1200 gl. tank with that. I have a pressure tank in the pump house and a pump in the water tank. I draw water off the tank, and the tank fills from the well. So 2 pumps. One at the well, and one in the tank. Anyway, a bit confusing? not really. Works.......well! jloomis

bmancanfly had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-well-water-supply-14766-.htm : jloomis, Since you're able to fill a 1200 gallon tank I was wondering how many gpm does your well and pump produce. I've moved here from an area that had city water to this location now, so this whole well/pump thing is new to me. My plan to fill a 2500 to 3000 gallon tank with water from one well didn't "seem" far fetched to me - but I could be way off. Also I've already checked the legal aspect with the county (that's where I came up with the 50 gallon a day per campsite number) and have resolve those issues. Just not sure what's the best way mechanically and cost wise to do this.
------------------------------------- jloomis wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14069 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

First things first; Find GPM your well produces. I use rain water to water my plants and refill my garden pond. A 1500 gal. tank, raiser 5 ft, for a camp site, that pressure would be fine. To find GPM, you'll have to disassemble part of your supply coming out of the well. So you can measure the output. Two 5 gal. buckets will serve as your measure. Let the well rest, or do it first thing in the morning. shut off the pump, disconnect and form a outlet high enough for the buckets. Have a watch. Start the pump and measure output and time. When the flow drops off, shut off the pump. Wait 10 min and redo. The first will tell you your drawdown, ie capacity of the well, the second will tell you how much the well produces. IF your lucky, the first go around won't slow down. Depending where you are.
bmancanfly had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-well-water-supply-14771-.htm :
I've heard different opinions on the gravity pressure from a tank. Your senario with a 1500 gallon tank and a 5ft raiser is that gonna create enough pressure for a campground?? My existing well is way to old and far away to be used for this project. The possible location of the new well will be at least 20 ft higher than (possibly as much as 30 ft) the campsites - plus I could use that raiser to gain a few more feet. Think that will work? ------------------------------------- Rick Samuel wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14080 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
water pressure is .4 (that's POINT FOUR) of a pound per foot.

My well produced 20 gls per min. when dug many years ago. However, I believe it is less recovery in "dry" times....So, the pump taking the water out of the well will shut off when it senses "low" pressure or water pressure lapse-(pump tech) electrical shut off when electricity is sensed being less.(pump cavitation) The tank however is full of water and the 110 pump is the feed for the home. The larger the pump the more volume and pressure. I have a Franklin pump-submersible.....with a mercury type switch so that when the water level in the tank gets low, it signal the main feeding pump to go on and fill the tank..... confusing, maybe..... jloomis

bmancanfly had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-well-water-supply-14775-.htm : Actually it sounds pretty simple and similar to what I was thinking I wanted to do. Except that my tank would be 2500 - 3000 gallons, and I'm sure to supply all the campsites that I would need a larger pump in the tank than what you have. The tank supplies peak demand needs of the campsites and the well, over a 24 hour period, refills the tank. I'm assuming this system works well for you?

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14081 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Yes, The system works very well. for many years. With the pumptech it helps signal the well pump to be able to pump or not to. If water is low in the well the pump will start and shut off since the motor has "no load" When the supply tank is full the well motor will not go on either. Now the supply tank motor can go on anytime with water in the tank of course. and the supply tank has a pressure tank inline so that adequate pressure is supplied for the service needed. With the float valve.....it signals when the tank is needing water from the well. So, 2 pumps, 1 pressure tank, and of course you can treat the water in the supply tank if needed. I use calcium carbonate for "high acidic" water. We have a ph of 5.0. Calcium carbonate brings it up to 7.0 some use ozinators........some have iron filters.......some need not much. With a camp ground you may have to inspect the water on a periodic basis, and keep a record or have a health dept. sign off........ For fun, check this out....http://www.playpumps.org/site/c.hqLNIXOEKrF/b.2589393/k.30EE/The_PlayPump_System___How_the_PlayPump_Works.htm Good luck jloomis

bmancanfly had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Re-well-water-supply-14785-.htm : I decide to go to a campground nearby and check what their water pressure is and see how they handle their water. They have a system just like what we discussed here. Aslo, found out from the county health dept that they only require 20 PSI for a campground. ------------------------------------- jloomis wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14105 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##