well pressure gauge

I left my garden hose from my well filling my new septic-tanks for the pump test. I needed to do this for the county inspector. My neighbor offered to shut the water off when one of the tanks(the one with the pump) reached 3/4 full(approx. 900 gals.) I left and he forgot so when I returned 2 days later both tanks were overflowing and the well pump was still running. Since then the pressure tank gauge in the well house never goes over 40 lbs. of pressure. It use to go up to 60 lbs. and then back down to 40 lbs. when water was running, then build up to 60 lbs. again when the water was not being used. The water pressure at the hose seems to be about the same as before this happened. Is it possible that the gauge or something else went haywire when that greater-than-usual demand was placed on the well? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Jack
Hopefully, the installer of the pump and reserve tank put in some cutoff valves in the system. If so, there should be a cutoff valve leading toward the house. Close this. If the pressure rises on the gauge you mentioned, you got a leak some place on the other side of the cutoff valve. If not, could be the gauge or the regulator for the pump.
Another way using your hearing. There should be a garden hose outlet on the reserve tank. Close the cutoff valve previously mentioned for a few minutes. Drain the reserve tank to the ground outside the well house for minute or so. Close the valve on the reserve tank feeding the garden hose. Watch the gauge and listen for a clunk sound inside the well house. The sound means the pump has finished pumping. There could be debris right at the gauge entry point, trapped there. Close the hopefully existing valve that leads to reserve tank from the pump surface outlet and regulator. Kill the power to the regulator and pump. Remove the gauge and inspect, clean if needed. Replace if needed. Reinstall the gauge. Activate power and open the valve. If no change, you or someone knowing what they are doing adjust the high pressure side turnoff point of the regulator.
--
Noncompliant

Money don\'t wag the dog\'s tail.