Water well treatment question

We just moved into a home in the country that has a water well. The water has enough sulphur in it to be offensive. The well man installed a chlorination system that eliminates most(but not all of the smell). I have heard that aeriation is the best method of eliminating the smell. It is much more costly($1000+ because it requires the installation of a separate tank).
I am wondering if it is possible to simply use the well as the aeriation tank and install an air pump that will discharge air close to the bottom of the well(but above the water pump). Wouldn't the air bubble to the top of the water column(in my case about 400 ft.) and remove most of the smell?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
In a previous post snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com wrote...

The sulphur smell is caused by iron eating bacteria in the water. Try dropping a cup of bleach into the well. You may need to repeat this every so often. It is best to do this when you plan to use a lot of water for something other than drinking -- like laundry or watering the flower garden.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

I haven't heard this reason for a sulfur odor. Where do the bacteria get the sulfur?
On 12-Jul-2006, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com wrote:

It's pretty common where I live to have hydrogen sulfide (which is a gas) dissolved in your well water. When you relieve the pressure, the gas bubbles out (like C02 in a bottle of pop). My previous house had a well that was especially bad.
About the only thing you can do is to release the water into a tank, which allows the gas to escape, then presurize it again with another pump for service to your house.
-Hershel
Thanks, what about the idea of injecting air in the well just above the water pump.?Wouldn't the bubbling effect of the air pick up and take the sulphur out of the water? This way you do not have to have a separate tank. My well holds a 400ft. column of water.
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:07:41 GMT, "Hershel Roberson"

Chlorination does nothing for solid sulfates and/or hydrogen sulfide gas presence. Just masks the smell. Does not remove the source.
Forced aeration does help eliminate the hydrogen sulfide gas. But, creates sulphuric acid in the process. There must also exist an air pocket for the hydrogen sulfide gas to separate from the water where all the water is forced through this air pocket. This is impossible in a strictly upward motion of the water.
Air injection just after the wellhead pump is going to force air in a vertical shaft that may accumulate. Will reduce realized actual water flow as the reservoir tank will be full of air after using the air injector for awhile. There is also a problem of metering the air in tandem with water flow, and how much air as well at the air injection point.
The two standard methods for removal of hydrogen sulfide gas are a holding tank with subsequent pump, and an air injection tank with intermittent flush system. The former is much more expensive. 1000 bucks is cheap regarding that method. The latter method is much cheaper, requires a french drain for the sulphuric acid/water flush, reduces the water flow somewhat. Either method located after the wellhouse's reservoir tank.
--
Jonny

I had the same problem with my well over a year ago. I tried the bleach/shocking method and poor results were what I got. I did some research and found that an effective solution (and maint. free) is to install a backflushing pyrolox filter.
Basically it is a cylinder that you put on after your well pressure tank and all your water flows through it. It contains marble and pyrolox. It automatically backflushes (timer) every few nights and is supposed to last 20+ years before needed additional pyrolox.
There are several brands, i got mine from www.budgetwater.com and they call it terminox. They were very helpful and I have great water now.
Jonny wrote:

http://www.budgetwater.com/Sulfur_Filters.htm Kinda scary to me. They don't address sulfates (solids) or hydrogen sulfide gas. 2 different animals. They lump it together as a smell. Chlorine injection noted in the first filter noted is, in my opinion, totally ignorant. Particularly regarding preventing damage to copper pipe and electric water heater anodes isn't addressed.
--
Jonny
< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Actually they do if you scroll down a bit...and look at the terminox filter.
"Removes iron, sulfur, manganese, dirt, turbidity, taste, odors, and even stronger chemicals like chlorine and chloramines."
My suggestion is call their 800 number for info if nothing else....they were very helpful and I learned quite a bit.
Jonny wrote:

My point being is if their chlorine injection system is used, and obviously not smart for the purpose they stated, it leads me to question any other of their products.
--
Jonny
< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I get your point, but I think they are giving you an inexpensive option which will most likely clear up the smell issue. I agree that it isn't optimal, but it is an option for people who don't/can't spend the money.