Water softners, Apples to Oranges?

Looking at two different water softener systems. Hague, or Kinetico.
Anybody have any good info on them?
I can get a good deal on the Hague, but I like the Kinetico's features.
Anybody?

Go with the Hague, especially if the Kinetico is a salt unit.
They are both salt units. The Hague requires 110vac, the Kinetico does not.

on 6/11/2009 4:08 AM (ET) Matt Barrow wrote the following:

I don't know how, or if, the Hague is better than a regular water softener, and at prices in the thousands of $, it better be far more efficient than the ones that sell in the hundreds of $. The below links are about false claims and poor, or no service, which just may originate from the sales people, distributors, or installers, but I would be leery about spending an exhorbitant amount of money for an appliance that can be bought from an appliance store or even online. This sounds like the sales pitches the Kirby and Rainbow vacuum cleaner salesmen used to sell their overpriced cleaners.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/mo_water.html http://www.topix.com/forum/city/fairfax-mo/T17NMS8K38AIJCOS8 http://jameytucker.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/dont-buy-a-hague-water-system / http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/hague_water.html http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/hague-quality-water-c186893.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The one's they sell, for example, in Home Depot, are nothing more than water filters you attach to your refrigerator, but for more volume.

Caveat emptor.

For about ten years, I had a Kinetico Quad system, but we had to get a water cooler since the unit added so much salt to the water. We could not use our ice maker in the 'fridge. Also, some jurisdictions are banning salt units since they contaminate ground water by salinization. Also, some RO units are banned since they use so much more water for flushing the system.
I got a good deal, on a Hague, back in 2005, and my unit has worked flawlessly. So far.
I can imagine, though, how they do generate so many complaints.

I owned a Kinetico when I lived in Michigan, worked well. My parents have owned one since 1989 and the only issue was soilder joint that leaked on the drain. This was done by and installer. The company sent a repair person ASAP and fixed it. We like the idea of no electricity to run it. I've not looked at athe newer systems so I do not know what their features are.
Andy