Water seeping through my bedroom brick wall.

I live in a brick rowhome in Philadelphia, PA and I have been having a problem with water seeping in through the bricks on the back bedroom wall that is damaging the plaster and sheetrock on the walls. My neighbor has a gutter that needs to be fixed and the water from it just runs down the wall which is where I am getting my problems from. I will ask him to fix it, but is there anything I could do from the inside to stop the water from seeping in through the bricks. I have taken down the sheetrock and I see that the mortar between the brick needs some attention. If there are any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.
you'll be much better off fixing it from the outside - just keep the water from directly running on that section of wall. Do you have any way of hanging a sheet of plastic or something out there? Really, if your neighbor's negligence is causing damage to your home, he/she needs to fix it before it costs you any more money or they'll be liable for the repair expenses.

: : you'll be much better off fixing it from the outside - just keep the : water from directly running on that section of wall. Do you have any : way of hanging a sheet of plastic or something out there? Really, if : your neighbor's negligence is causing damage to your home, he/she needs : to fix it before it costs you any more money or they'll be liable for : the repair expenses.
And when it comes to that be sure you tell your neighbor you will sue his homeowners insurance policy.
peace dawg
Drastic91 wrote:

Astro is correct. Brick walls are not considered water tight, so your neighbor is causing you damage. Once the offending gutter is repaired, check to see if the exterior wall needs to be repointed. Before replacing interior finishes, give the brick wall plenty of time to dry out. TB

NO.
Everything said above is true but there are some spray on - roll on sealers for brick that do a good job. On the outside of course.

But the OP said *INSIDE*.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Glad we cleared that up.

Hey Everyone! Thanks for all the good info. I will talk to my neighbor tomorrow and see what he is gonna do about the problem. I will also check into the brick pointing & waterproofing that were suggested.
It sounds like you live in a [row house|town house] with brick veneer? If there are covenants that require the neighbor to be responsible for his length of gutter you have a legitimate argument as his negligence has become a nuisance. You have to also read the ordinances about surface water runoff. This is a big thing and all communities have had something to say about it. My community is controlled by filthy pigs who have drafted ordinances to protect the city sidewalks and so on but neighbor can sh!t on neighbor with impunity. This allows the jews to suck you into their courts to try to bankrupt you for simply seeking protection from negligence and nuisance both terms of which are the two legal terms used in the law when discussing surface water runoff circumstances. You need to do the research.
As for the brick, I concur with the fella who mentioned spray or roll-on treatements. Go to the largest cement delivery company you can find as they almost assuredly also sell products to the masonry contractors. Ask them which sealing product to use and discuss any concerns using the product which may introduce side-effects.
--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com