Wall cap mitre at stair descent

I would like to put a hardwood cap on a halfwall but where the two pieces meet you get overlap at the mitre either above or below because of the angle. The cap are 90 deg to each other and on side goes down a stairwell. I tried to show this joint below. You can see (hopefully) in the example below that when the two pieces are butted together and lined up along the bottom you get overlap on top. If you line up the tops then I get excess on the bottom but this would be visible too. I was hoping to run a piece of trim underneath the cap but to make it even along the bottom the only thing I can think of is notching. I was hoping someone else might have some ideas or suggestions or even different way to do this. Thanks in advance KS

-

------------------------------- - - - - - - - - - - -

------------------------------- - -

- - - - -

Reply to
Geo

There are carpenters that specialize in stairs. You are now finding out why.

You know any? They might help.

I see no way someone can explain what you desire here.

Reply to
Bill

An ASCII (character) drawing won't cut it for your question. I think I know what you are asking, but a real drawing, or photo would be a really good idea. There are sites that will host drawings and photos, so draw it completely, label it so we can understand exactly what we are looking at, and perhaps someone can give you an answer.

Reply to
PeterD

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

good place to put a picture.....

hard to decipher with written word.....

Reply to
jloomis

The problem with any of the .binaries groups is that many of the providers either don't carry them (due to government abrogation of free speech) or don't allow image/binary files to propagate from other servers.

Unfortunately the best solution is a web picture/image host sites, which fortunately are in abundance and free.

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
jloomis

Google: "compound miter" That's a miter that is also beveled, and that is what you need to do to make it fit right.

RicodJour