Volume Home Builders

I'm a student and just started a class on the home building industry. I'm trying to find out how long it takes the big volume homebuilders like kb homes to build a home and other info such as how many they build at once, how many workers they use etc? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Reply to
designstudent06

Here are a few things for you to start with:

Most tract builders (production builders) promise a home will be completed in anywhere from four to six months. In reality, if everything goes alright, it takes about 6, maybe longer. Custom homes take longer. Many factors will slow down the process such as builder cash flow problems, weather, etc.

How many they build at once depends on the size of the builder, and the market in each location. Check the home builder's own sites and that of the National Association of Home Builders

for statistics. Be sure to look at the NAHB's list of local builders associations which may also keep their own figures.

It's hard to say how many workers they really use because most of the work is subcontracted out. The builders themselves don't employ most of the actual workers. Also, many of the actual workers are "day labor," sometimes undocumented, and no one's keeping accurate statistics on that because the builders and/or sub's may be skirting the law to hire them. It's been estimated that about 30 different types of subcontracting companies are involved in the construcion of a house. You might try asking some builders for a list of their subcontractors in a particular subdivision if you just want a list of what goes into it. Many builders won't give out the list, even to their home buyers though.

If you are doing a study on home construction it wouldn't be complete without a trip to these sites:

better construction methods
problems with new home construction
search here for specific terms, statistics, etc.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
frippletoot

track houses usually take about 4-6 weeks to build from foundation to finish

how many they

most tracts I have been on have about 30-50 houses going at once in active construction

how many workers they use etc this number varies greatly but if you run the list of trades most crews theses days are between 5-10 guys and figure each house is a step progressed above the next > I'm a student and just started a class on the home building industry.

Reply to
Italian Mason

As to how many homes they will build at once... With large developers and developments, they will do marketing studies of an area in advance. Find out what people want, how much they can pay, what the potential market is, etc.

Then they will acquire land. Some areas have plenty of land available. Others have limited open space available.

With the limited land areas, then number of homes would be determined by local codes and what the buyers want and can pay for, then how many homes can fit on the space available.

With the unlimited land available areas, the number of homes would be determined by what the market will bear and how big a community should be or should not be. Don't want it too big! Here is an example of a "master planned community"...

Might want to get it straight from the horse...

Bill

you should do well as a contractor. One of the first things to learn is how to get someone to do the work for you. I can see you know how to do that. Butt the most important thing to learn is how to find someone competent to do that job, Therein lies your next task

Good luck kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart