use of 's-,' 'smell' or grease traps' in tropical climates

I just moved into a new appartment in a new high rise in Southern China. To my surprise I noticed that ****there are no 's-traps'**** (='smell trap', 'grease traps, etc': the 's' or 'u' shaped 'contraptions' mounted under each sink and at the beginning of all the drain lines. As far as I know they have to be used in al residential constructions. The water also drains from the balconies in the same way. The whole building, all 25 strories, are built this way.
To make sure I explain it clearly: all the drainage lines are connected to- or go horizontally, straight to the vertical drainege lines, whih their air escape to the roof! Only the toilet bowls have their built in 'traps'.
Is this an accpetable, sanitary, building practice? Is this done because we are in a very hot, humid climate or I'm the victim of a bulding mistake or even of a scam?
Prompt expert's advise is greatly appreciatted, as things are starting to s(t)ink here!.
MWMAN
S Traps and P Traps are required to maintain hygienic environment inside home. The water seal inside these traps prevent the foul air from entering the room. In normal case, the down end of these drain pipes will be connected to a sewer or a soak pit. There is always chances of formation of foul air inside these sewer, pits and tanks. Traps prevent the entry of such gases into the room. In your case, is the down end of the drain pipe entering a sewer or a pit or a tank? Or is it just falling into an open trench? In open trenches, foul gases disperse in the air and thus there is no chance of reverse entry to the pipe. In either case, quality seems to have been compromised. Soji S.