urgent ..pls help -construction question

urgent ..pls help -construction question
Background ***************** My friend is buying a home in the SF Bay Area, CA. The home has a nice view at the back. The family room is on the first floor and the bedroom upstairs face the back. The bedroom sits on the family room which is below. The family room is larger than the bedroom on top. It has a pointed roof which ruins the view from this bedroom.
1. However the family room has a big fireplace that faces the back - this ruins the view from that room. Can the the fireplace and chimney be removed ? so a French door can be inserted in that space and the view can be enjoyed ?
2. Upstairs in the master bedroom ..the view is ruined because of very tiny windows and also - the chimney - the pointed tile roof Can the chimney ( because of the fireplace in the family room below) be removed and the roof flattened so a varandah can be built ?
So there are 2 issues 1. can we remove the chimney completely 2. can we flatten the tile roof on top of family room and build varendah on it ?
Is this possible ? and what would be the costs ? any complications ? any issues that I should be aware of ?
I know it is difficult to comment without seeing the home...but if you can pls give us your input it would be very highly appreciated.
Thanks
Linda
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Anything is possible with enough money. There is no way we can know what is involved without investigating the house. Hire an architect - small office interested in residential scale projects - to look at it. You don't have to sign a contract for a full blown design. Ask for a consultation at an hourly rate. Make sure the resulting product - verbal or written report is specified in the contract. TB

snip
Just how many sisters / friends / stupid people are buying homes in SF that are too lazy to pick up the phone and call some contractors? Odds are at least one will show up and give you a better answer than you'll get over the internet.
On 18 Jan 2007 17:49:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

Most folks from San Fran prefer the back. < if you know what I mean >

See what I mean?

Damn,

A large hammer ought to do the trick.

French? You traitor.

Why don't you just demolish the damn place and start over?