unfinished repairs to home by unlicensed coontractor

It's not hard for a con-man to convince someone they owe them money.

She had already paid $2,800 (plus six weeks car hire) for about 39 hours work. Now a year later he turned up to demand $10,000 for a list of things for which he hasn't provided reciepts or invoices. I smell a rat.

Reply to
CWatters

I hope you are around when a roofer calls on your mother/grand mother.

Reply to
CWatters

He is... by asking a bunch of unqualified people on Usenet.

Reply to
Art

Excuse me, but how much research did YOU do before you hired your friend? Do you ask to see his qualifications? Tickets? Past history? Did you ask to put something in writing? Do you give him a specific set of instructions and specifications? Did you give him the timeline? Did you withhold lien monies? Were your payments by cheque and in response to a written invoice???

Pretty late to start accusing your "friend" of sloppy construction practices when you practice improper hiring and payments procedures. Like I said before, you created this situation in the first place. Never ever hire friends to do work unless you want them to become enemies.

My other point was and still is - you didn't do your homework when before you started your renovations and yet you are doing your homework now for legal services. IN your mind - which of the two is an actual professional - a local carpenter or a butt sniffing legal shit? By your own actions you proved that you value and respect lawyers more than you do contractors.

Take this shit thread to a legal advice column, it doesn't belong in a construction newsgroup. If you want technical advice on how lumber and tools and repairs, ask it here.

Reply to
Roarmeister

Thanks, but my mother passed away last year and my dad is a carpenter. You well wishes are appreciated.

Reply to
Roarmeister

Touche' :-)

BTW, isn't Sadie of the feminine gender?

Reply to
Roarmeister

Read, again, what I said: no *VALID* contract.

Reply to
PeterD

I think she also paid $3300 as well, since she doens't mention that he repaid the $3300 that was paid to get him out of jail.

I think we can all agree, she's been scammed big time on this one!

Reply to
PeterD

Oops, "She is"

Reply to
Art

Don't waste your money on an attorney at this point. What's your friend going to do ? Nothing. The burden is on him to extract payment from you and until he does something to that end there really isn't anything you should do.

If you feel physically threatened or harassed at work then that's a completely different issue and then you should contact the police or an attorney in that case.

Can I borrow your car for a bit next week ?

Reply to
crhras