unfinished repairs to home by unlicensed coontractor

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 20 May 2007 10:40:14 +0100, "CWatters"

I think she also paid $3300 as well, since she doens't mention that he repaid the $3300 that was paid to get him out of jail.
I think we can all agree, she's been scammed big time on this one!

What the frick?? You used a so-called friend instead of a proper professional contractor to work on your house but NOW you want to get an professional lawyer??? Gee, why don't you complete the cycle and hire a phonebook "legal services" fly by nighter...
You started this mess in the first place - now wallow in it.
Thanks for the positive feedback! Do me a favor and don't reply back. .. I put this matter out on this site for suggestions, to educate those like myself who were ignorant of state licensing laws, etc., not for sacastic remarks that serve no positive purpose. FYI, this professional contractor is a professional handyman for home repairs and remodelling, and who happened to me a friend. He has a business that I thought was legit. So maybe you can look for some other situation where your smart aleck remarks about "fly by night" and "Judge Judy" would be more appreciated.
Roarmeister wrote:

Excuse me, but how much research did YOU do before you hired your friend? Do you ask to see his qualifications? Tickets? Past history? Did you ask to put something in writing? Do you give him a specific set of instructions and specifications? Did you give him the timeline? Did you withhold lien monies? Were your payments by cheque and in response to a written invoice???
Pretty late to start accusing your "friend" of sloppy construction practices when you practice improper hiring and payments procedures. Like I said before, you created this situation in the first place. Never ever hire friends to do work unless you want them to become enemies.
My other point was and still is - you didn't do your homework when before you started your renovations and yet you are doing your homework now for legal services. IN your mind - which of the two is an actual professional - a local carpenter or a butt sniffing legal shit? By your own actions you proved that you value and respect lawyers more than you do contractors.
Take this shit thread to a legal advice column, it doesn't belong in a construction newsgroup. If you want technical advice on how lumber and tools and repairs, ask it here.

I hope you are around when a roofer calls on your mother/grand mother.
On Sun, 20 May 2007 10:44:38 +0100, "CWatters"

Thanks, but my mother passed away last year and my dad is a carpenter. You well wishes are appreciated.
Roarmeister wrote:

He is... by asking a bunch of unqualified people on Usenet.
--
Art

Touche' :-)
BTW, isn't Sadie of the feminine gender?
Roarmeister wrote:

Oops, "She is"
--
Art

Don't waste your money on an attorney at this point. What's your friend going to do ? Nothing. The burden is on him to extract payment from you and until he does something to that end there really isn't anything you should do.
If you feel physically threatened or harassed at work then that's a completely different issue and then you should contact the police or an attorney in that case.
Can I borrow your car for a bit next week ?