U.V. window film

Hi all,
I've put some U.V. film on my southern (shaded) side of the house because of glare from a metal colourbond fence some metres from the window. I was wondering, if I put it on the northern windows (which I rely on for supplementary heating during winter) will it also block the Infrared rays that heat the slab?
Judanne
It will block the most of the UV rays (that convert to IR after they pass through the window). Personally I would not put the film on the north windows. Also, if you have insulated glass, put the film on the exterior side. (OK to put on interior if you have single glass).

Thanks for that, it was something I had often wondered about. I didn't know that UV converted to IR after passing through glass. Guess I'll just have to build a solar pergola after all!
Solar pergola = pergola with many fixed louvres angled so that all the winter sun comes through but the hottest sun is excluded in mid summer. Allows rain and breezes to flow through, too.
Judanne

Judanne wrote:

Andy comments: I have nothing better to do today, so I'll explain this..
All energy radiation is electromagnetic , which has a periodicity to the electromagnetism called "frequency". Radio waves, radar, light waves, infrared rays, UV rays are just electromagnetic radiation at different frequencies.....
Any material, when intercepting rays of any frequency, can do three things: 1 Reflect it away 2 Pass it thru 3 Absorb it Usually it is a combination of all three.... UV film is mainly #3 , absorption...
Anything absorbed, raises the temperature of the material.
As temperature increases, black body radiation ( aka infrared ) increases, so the higher temperature means that the "frequency" of the UV radiation is retransmitted at infrared, which is a lower "frequency".
Ok, that's it on a 9th grade physics level.
I expect that nit-pickers, who didn't bother to post in the first place, will attempt to find flaws in this explanation.... Good luck to them.... The explanation is accurate..
Andy
Thank you very much. Never did 9th grade physics, so it is much appreciated.
Judanne

Heavily tinted UV film blocks not only UV, but also a good portion of visible and infrared spectrum. How's the winter in Australia this time of year?
--
Jonny

Hi Jonny,
Well, I'm in Tasmania which is nothing like the mainland of Australia. Its colder but greener and wetter here. The countryside reminds me of travelling through Britain when I was a kid. We had a VERY cold autumn but the winter has been quite mild. This is supposed to be the last month of it now and the month where, if it's going to snow, it will. Instead my orchids (outside) are about to burst into flower and the fruit trees and wattles are looking spectacular. An early spring!
Judanne

I just met a couple of very nice fellows that were from Tasmania. They came all the way to Northern Indiana to attend an Industrialized Housing seminar. (Looooooog trip, grin.) When they talked about Tasmania, you could tell they loved the place. Early spring after a cold winter, there's nothing like it. Were heading into fall, one night this week got down to 40F (but we have a ways to go yet.)
Cheers from Indiana

Yep, I have an idea of what Indiana can be like, I lived in Southern Michigan from 65 to 72, in the outer suburbs of Detroit. Used to go from 110F in summer to -10F in winter. Talk about a land of extremes! Spent all my teenage years there, so consequently have a love of soul, motown, hard rock, funk, etc.
Judanne