Trying to pick lighting for my basement remodel...

Hi all -
I'm working on finishing an area of my basement... around 12' by 28' with 8' ceilings and need to decide on lighting.
Right now - while I'm framing - I have 3 outlets equally spaced with (2) 100w bulbs in a Y splitter. You can see, but it's kinda dim.
I figured I was going to go with recessed lighting... until the chart at Lowes told me I needed like 27 of them.
So now I'm looking at putting 3 flourescent fixtures that take 2 4 foot tubes each down there. I'm not sure if my understanding of this is correct or not, so I wanted to check...
By counting lumens, the 6 100w incandescents I have are putting out 1500 * 6, or 9000 total lumens.
When I read about a G.E. T5 bulb (4 foot long) it puts out around 4000 lumens. If I have 2 of these per fixure, 3 fixtures total I'm looking a 6 bulbs * 4000 = 24000 lumens.
Is it really going to be almost 3 times brighter down there using the flourescents v. the 100w incandescents?
Thanks!
Mostly right... under test conditions... depending on the fixture used...
There are many other factors to consider such as where the light goes. Most recessed will put the light right underneath and not on the ceiling. Wall sconces that point up will spread it around. (see http://groups.google.com/group/alt.building.construction/browse_frm/thread/dc50b4e45a0d4eda /#)
Ceiling surface mounted fixtures will spread it around but mostly on the ceiling. Glare is big factor here!
As I mentioned in the other thread, standard design practice is to use more than one type of fixture. Consider, incandescent recessed on a dimmer, fluorescent wall sconces and some table/desk lights for any really critical areas. Or some variation on the theme.
Richard Reid, LC Luminous Views
Alex wrote:

In a previous post Alex wrote...

Here's something that may help you decide how much light to use:
http://tinyurl.com/ow779
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co