Trouble running CAT5 cables for my old house?

Dear Experts, How do I run CAT5 cables from the attic to every room of the house without cuting off the walls? If it is impossible, how do I get around with those fire stoppers in between the studs? Thanks for your helps, Hugh
Go through closets to minimize drywall cutting. Or you could by a very long drill bit that Electricians sometimes have for this purpose. Also, Wiremold makes a baseboard trim that can be used as a conduit for cables. www.wiremold.com/

Is wireless not an option?

Wireless has its on issues. First it can be less secure,and second it is slower. But it does beat wiring an existing house.

Security is an issue if your brokerage password or bank account password get stolen.
if security is a concern, the routers have security that is quite simple to set up. You can limit access to specific hardware (network or hardware addresses). Am I missing something here?
Bill

Nope youre not. The point is the security is there if you choose to use it. You only mentioned the router. There is also security built into the wireless components. Various types of wireless encryption as well as MAC filtering. You use them your secure. You dont, youre not.
They cant get stolen if they arent stored on the computer

It's easy. You take the Cat 5 cable back to the store and buy a wireless router.

hlwks wrote:

flexible. Available in various hole sizes. Cut your opening for the j-box,(needs to be about 2 feet high for bit access, they are not THAT flexible) Run the bit up the wall, drilling the fire block and the double top plate. (leave the bit in place in the hole just drilled) Now go up to the attic and hook a pull string (or the cat 5) to the hole in the end of the bit and pull away. The bit should track along the opposite side of the wall cavity if at a shallow angle (careful here) It should also slide by any insulation but be careful of bit wind-up. Get a big knot of insulation on the end and you will play hell getting the bit back out. Tapered end bits rather than auger type (which are available)are less likely to snag.
Have fun! Dana
If you are not going to go wireless, suggest you go cat6 and or fiber while drilling and fishing through the walls, floors, and studs.

Dear All, Thanks with all your helps. CAT5 is only one of the cables, I also planed to run telephone, TV cable and stereo wires on the same route. Thanks again, Hugh