trenching after a rain?

Hey Folks,
I'm running a 1000' trench for electrical primary to a new home. I'm in a bit of a time crunch, and got half of it done already. I was going to do the other half this weekend, but delayed due to rain (which of course has caused problems with the completed first half). Right now they are calling for 30% chance of rain tomorrow , clear Tuesday, possible rain Wed. I really need to get this done and am wondering if i would have any success tomorrow or if i'm just wasting time and money. Soils are very high clay content and get greasy when wet.
Thanks for any input!!!
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 2, 8:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How deep a trench ? What are you using to dig the trench ? How much rain did you get ?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Our trencher won't move if it's too greasy on top. It's a Ditch Witch R40 with the hi float tires. We ask farmers to disk a trail through the fields for us so we're working in loose soil. It might help to drive the trencher back and forth a couple times to make a trail. Another thing that might help would be to slow down the travel speed when trenching. Let the digger chain do the work. I remember one spring when it never seemed to quit raining. I hooked a tractor (3010) to the trencher to pull it. I put the tractor in low gear and idled it up just enough so the motor wouldn't die. The tractor spun the whole way but that was OK. I don't remember how it was filling the trench back in. It takes good traction to backfill so it probably didn't work too well. Dean
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dean Hoffman wrote:

a John Deere 3010. that was a good tractor.

every trench I ever filled back in was like some little elf came and took some of the dirt while I was not looking cause there never seemed to be enough dirt for the refill.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ya I know what you mean. If you are trying to dig a hole anything it seems to never refill
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bobrich wrote:

digging in wet or moist dirt is easier than digging in dry dirt. digging in clay is rough and most always produces the result of me bringing out the mattock. I like the mattock. working up a rhythm and singing the yo-e-o song to pass the time can be a great form of exercise good for the arms and upper back.
one day while in an electrical supply house I saw this nice shovel and it was only about 3 inches wide. the sales clerk told me it was for trenching in electrical lines. made good sense to only dig as wide as needed and not the typical shovel width.
anyhow the set back due to rain is going to depend on how much rain and how fast the down pour arrives as well as the terrain slopes creating fast run off. without seeing the job site its going to be difficult to make a relative recommendation as to whether you should wait for the rains to pass or consider the amount of rework required as a result of water washing.
I can say this, digging in wet clay is not any easier than dry clay. in fact, the clay is heavier when wet.
as a side note if time is a problem then renting a motorized trencher can expedite the digging process.
ps: Folks is a nice word and one I'd like to see more often.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Any possibility of covering the completed trench and the area still to be done until the rain passes? Then work on Tuesday while the weather is good.
--
Remove the TOS star ship captain to reply privately.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Here in Florida, the inspectors will accept pictures in times like those. Ask them. If they allow it, lay your cable, take pictures, and move on.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:42:29 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I really dont understand where your question is? You cant fight the weather, but we all face the same problems. When working outdoors on ANYTHING, we all have to work with the weather. There is no timeline whne weather decides to stop us. However, a hand shovel should work regardless of the weather. Put on some no slip boots, a raincoat, and go to work.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not to be a smart ass, but a 30% chance of rain is a 70% chance of no rain. :)
Hobo
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.