Tools

Is Skil tools gone to pot?

As a retired contractor, I used to have 5 or 6 Skil Mod 77 saws on the job all the time and it seemed they couldn't be worn out. I had 2 battery drills with 4 batteries that we used everyday and they just couldn't be hurt it seemed, as much as employees pounded them.

A couple years age I bought a Skil 12V, mod 2467 that I thought looked like a nice drill. Being retired I used it 4 times always having to recharge it of course. The charger shot craps and I imagine a replacement charger (I have been told) would cost as much as a new outfit and if they're junk anyway, I suppose I can still use my plug in tools. :).

Have Skil gone to junk? What say you guys? I assume Milwaukee and Porter Cable are still good?

Reply to
Glenn

the time and it seemed they couldn't be worn out. I had 2 battery drills with 4 batteries that we used everyday and they just couldn't be hurt it seemed, as much as employees pounded them.

nice drill. Being retired I used it 4 times always having to recharge it of course. The charger shot craps and I imagine a replacement charger (I have been told) would cost as much as a new outfit and if they're junk anyway, I suppose I can still use my plug in tools. :).

Cable are still good?

my impression has been that except for the model 77, skil tools are homeowner quality crap-

Reply to
marson

IMO..........virtually every brand has gone to shit. MW are overpriced pieces of sh*t and PC isn't real far behind. PC is better the DeWalt & DeWalt is better then Skil. Damned DW has taken over the rechargable arena but the tools are severly lacking on the 110v side as well as the rechargable side. We still have a 15 yo B&D screwgun that works as good as new while the same gun thru DW won't last a year.

As a retired contractor, I used to have 5 or 6 Skil Mod 77 saws on the job all the time and it seemed they couldn't be worn out. I had 2 battery drills with 4 batteries that we used everyday and they just couldn't be hurt it seemed, as much as employees pounded them.

A couple years age I bought a Skil 12V, mod 2467 that I thought looked like a nice drill. Being retired I used it 4 times always having to recharge it of course. The charger shot craps and I imagine a replacement charger (I have been told) would cost as much as a new outfit and if they're junk anyway, I suppose I can still use my plug in tools. :).

Have Skil gone to junk? What say you guys? I assume Milwaukee and Porter Cable are still good?

Reply to
Dan Deckert

the time and it seemed they couldn't be worn out. I had 2 battery drills with 4 batteries that we used everyday and they just couldn't be hurt it seemed, as much as employees pounded them.

nice drill. Being retired I used it 4 times always having to recharge it of course. The charger shot craps and I imagine a replacement charger (I have been told) would cost as much as a new outfit and if they're junk anyway, I suppose I can still use my plug in tools. :).

Cable are still good?

Different comanies seem to do well with different tools. I have the Skil 77 and it is an awesome tool and famous besides. It still sets the standard for a worm drive saw. I use mine all the time and especially like it for long rips and green wood, just pure power. I would never buy anthing else that said Skil, though, just a lot of junk. My sidewinders are PC and Bosch. Bosch has a good reputation esp for the jigsaw.

Milwaukee is still a good brand and I don't think they make any junk. Milwaukee is best known for their corded drills and I own several. The Milwaukee Hole-Hawg is almost as famous as the Skil 77, just a must have for hogging lot of holes. Their circular saw is also well regarded. I have their cordless caulk gun to and have used it a lot.

PC has maybe gone downhill for sure but their saws are OK. It looks like they put their money into marketing. They do make some junk but If you want a cheap sidewinder or even a chop saw, PC is as good as most. I have two PC nail guns which have always performed for me. Hitachi, Bostich, and Senco are known for their nailers. Hitachi is the most expensive but some crews will use them exclusively.

Concerning cordless drill and drivers, Panasonic is my brand. I got hooked on their stuff years ago and they are still ahead of the pack with regard to cordless technology. Makita is my second choice and I have been looking hard at their 18v line. Makita has been popular for a long time. DeWalt is well known also and alot of guys won't buy anything else. I don't think they make any junk.

Everone has their own experience and opinions those are mine.

Reply to
Lawrence