Tips on replacing sections of cast iron drain pipe

Hello,

I need to replace about 10 - 15 ft of cast iron drain pipe that is currently below the basement floor between where the drain pipe enters the floor on one wall and just ahead of the cleanout at the opposite wall where the pipe exits out towards the street.

I've seen and used the no-hub type transitions for connecting new PVC into existing cast iron on internal connections before. Basically, a rubber gasket with clamps on each end. What I'm not sure of is if they are available for use in a direct burial situation as I've described here. Does anyone here have any pointers or suggestions? Any special tools needed?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

The big issues are breaking the floor, digging down to the existing pipe, and cutting the existing pipe.

If you have a clean cut/break on the existing cast iron going to PVC use no hub clamps. These are thin rubber connectors with a full stainless shell and band clamps like these:

You can also use the Fernco type connectors, but the no hub style keeps the pipe in line better. They can be cantankerous to install. Slide the stainless portion up the pipe. Install the rubber part to the stop and then fold the other half back on itself like rolling up a pants cuff. After getting the pipe installed, roll the cuff onto the other pipe and slide and tighten the stainless clamp.

Reply to
DanG