Tiling down a hall with a patterned tile

I was contemplating tiling my kitchen, dining and hall with a tile that has a slight pattern of lines running through it.
For it to look right, should I be tiling so that the lines on the tile run the same way as the hall or vice versa, or does it really not matter???
-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16502 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
I will be tiling my kitchen, dining room and hall with a patterned tile that has a slight line running through it only one way.
For it to look right, should I be tiling down the hall with the lines running the same way as the hall or vice versa, or does it not matter at all???
-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16502 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖

The direction of the pattern is a personal preference. I would be more concerned about how it looks in the kitchen and dining room, though. No one spends much time in the hall. This assumes you install it running the same direction in all three areas.
Do you have the tile yet? Lay some out dry both ways and see which you like better.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
On May 20, 5:05 am, mr_climbatize_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (mr_climb) wrote:

It's what appeals to you. Some people would alternate each tile and make a checkerboard pattern. Having the tile run in the same direction would be a common way of doing it, but it depends on the configuration of the rooms - what might look good in one room, might look odd in another. The tile "grain" running the long way in the main rooms would look totally different if the grain ran the short way in the hallway.
Lay out some tile and make the decision that way.
✖
Usually if the lines run with the Hall or the long area's it accents the length... If the lines oppose the length it help making the hall not so tunnel like. It all depends on what the viewer is trying see. soe want the loooon look. Others prefer the "break up" of that tunnel effect. I always tell the customer I do not pick colors, wash windows, and in this case decide pattern run..... have fun. jloomis

Add pictures here
✖
A person could put borders in an area also to break up a pattern run. jloomis

Add pictures here
✖