Thoughts on pouring floor slab (Philippines)

I am about to pour a 4 inch thick, 20 ft by 30 ft cement floor slab. I am located in the Philippines. This will be on clay type soil.

I am wondering about reinforcement. I was thinking of digging

6 inch wide by 4 inch deep "trenches" spaced 10 feet apart, in the ground before pouring the slab to create a "backbone" that would hopefully strengthen the slab. This would effectively create a "beam" under the slab. The trenches would be in a tic-tac-toe configuration. If you look at the website below, I would keep the "trenches" in line with the concrete posts.

Would this help? Or would this cause problems?

I do not have access to reinforcing wire mesh, and they have indicated to me that rebar is not needed. I would like to reinforce the slab.

Any recommendations.

I have a website that shows the progress of the house being built:

Building a house in the Philippines is an experience you will never forget. There are many practices that would cause you to shudder.

Reply to
Lloyd

Many here will disagree with me but I would want #4 rebar, 24" each way, 100% tied. Personally, I would not do the trenches. However most *basement* floors around here are not reinforced. You didn't designate what the use was.

Reply to
Glenn

If you do go with the trenches why not put them under the area where the interior and exterior walls will be?

Reply to
Deputy Dumbya Dawg

The trenches will be in line with the posts that support the roof. The interior walls (non-load bearing) will be in line with the posts. Essentially this house could be classed as post & beam type. There will not be any load-bearing walls.

Reply to
Lloyd

Minimum, do dig beams around the perimeter. Minimizes soil erosion that naturally will occur. Red lead paint application is a major concern in my book...

Reply to
Jonny