The REAL housing crisis: TOO MANY PEOPLE

Page 1 of 2
Recently, there's been news about corrupt loans and bailouts, and it's important. But, from a sustainability standpoint, the true housing crisis is that more homes are BUILT all the time, far beyond replacement levels. This is happening daily at the expense of wilderness, farmland and general elbow room. Who decided this constant blight upon the land was natural or desirable? It's not just a matter of NIMBY, it's about respecting physical limits.
NIMBY is a term used to distract from what's really going on. Nobody should be forced to endure constant crowding, especially of the type occurring in the American West. Many realize that the shrinkage of prime land has driven up housing costs, but they still act like it can go on forever. Money is treated as a resource unto itself, and literally being cloned in certain professions. See: http://enough_already.tripod.com/money.htm
The Earth is a finite mass and its surface gets more jammed each day. A lot of people are making money by charging for land that was once owned by nobody. The concept of permanent land ownership is purely a human one. Most species use what they need and pass on, rarely leaving permanent scars.
Some will tell you that the "wasted" American desert should be filled with people; just because it might be feasible if enough water was diverted. The blight of Phoenix, Vegas and L.A. isn't enough for growth addicts seeking easy cash from land that was once free. A little smooth talking and they're loaded with false wealth, able to buy their own mansion in a transaction cycle that keeps on taking from nature. To hell with frontiers and unbroken vistas. A price tag must be placed on every piece of usable land that's not spoken for.
Getting to the main point: the big reason these homes get built by the thousands each day is POPULATION GROWTH. In the U.S. this amounts to about 3 million more people annually. Worldwide it exceeds 70 million per year (net gain). If any other species tried to multiply at that rate, we'd declare a lock-down. But Man doesn't have to play by the rules of nature; so say the "conservatives."
For comparison, deer are generally considered overpopulated (for hunting's sake) but they number only about 20 million in America vs. 300 million people, headed toward a possible 500 million by the end of the century. Each deer also has a much smaller "ecological footprint" compared to a person. You can barely tell that deer (or most other animals) exist in satellite views, while human habitation creates endless scars. Which species is truly overpopulated?
Instead of harping on money and treating land as infinite, people should question the economic growthism and lack of global birth control that makes all these structures necessary. It seems that's too much to ask of the average person, though. They'd rather keep it shallow, ignore the root cause and whine about mortgages over cocktails.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com /
Housing starts are a leading indicator of mindless population growth.
If you belive, if you can live up to your claims, burn your home and move into the woods. Live under a tree and eat wild berries. It's too late for your parants to have an abortion, but you can limit your foot print. It will mean giving up the computer you typed this on, the power you used to run it. Life as you know it. Or did you mean OTHER prople should change?

I always tell people who think there's too many people to, "Be my guest, you go first!", but the hypocrites NEVER oblige.

And how many kids will you have during your lifetime?
Bob

And what the hell does that have to do with anything?
(snip)

If you have to ask, explanations will likely be pointless. Look up 'carrying capacity'.
(Standard disclaimer- I am not one of those wacko 'childfree' zealots. I <like> kids, and replacements have to come from somewhere. But now that most of us do NOT live on farms and need to breed our own help, and now that 1 kid in 3 or so DOESN'T die by age five, well, maybe 'replacements' should be the term people keep in mind. 2.3 kids per breeding couple or so will assure population doesn't go down. Maybe a little higher to take into account the people like me that never succeeded in reproducing. I am one kid out of 8, with 7 surviving. Families that large make no economic or ecological sense any more. My sisters that did have kids had 2 each, so the genetic line will go on.)
aem sends...
In article <9HKxi.441286$p47.374263@bgtnsc04-

IIRC, a birth rate of 2.2/female is the replacement rate, which includes "people like you" and deaths before childbearing age.

I'm one in four. Our average is 2 (my wife an I have one and one brother with three).
--
Keith

And both of you miss the crucial points.
Typical.
snipped-for-privacy@performancehomes.com says...

What, that you're an idiot, pretending to be human?

'Tis true, at least on the Usenet.
--
Keith

The idiot is the jerkoff you see in the mirror. You can buffalo your braindead peers, but you're way out of your league.
Try learning how the real world works rather than sucking the teachers/handlers dick.
Are you even remotely familiar with world-wide demographics the past 50 years? Doubtful.

Learn some history (not the public skool variety), learn some economics (not the Marxist variety), learn something about production, creativity and real demographics.
In other words: Get a clue.
Or, I suppose you could just keep demonstrating your real ignorance.
Or you could just respond like the typical children, mimicking what your handlers want to hear and understanding nothing.
In fact, I expect more of yours and "aem" (who can't even abbreviate his name) churlish drivel.
At least you don't make idiots of yourselves in a open form like Paul Erlich did.
snipped-for-privacy@performancehomes.com says...

Obviously I'm not in your league, fortunately.

Wow, you are an idiot, in a league of your own.

Clueless, at that.

Totally clueless.

You first, comrade.

Kepp going. I'm having fun with your cluelessness.

Still...

Speaking of which, have you actually read what you spew?

You misspelled "Matt Barrow".
--
Keith

I came in late on this conversation. Who is winning?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I am. He won't even say what his issue is so his posting is a total waste of his time. I'm just sitting in a hotel room happy to waste his time (mine is already wasted, sitting in a hotel room ;).
--
Keith

The issue is that you don't have the slighest grasp of population trends or demographics.

A waste of time in that I'm evidently trying to flesh out coherrent arguments from a primitive , tribalistic mind.

Your mind seems wasted, too.
As such, [PLONK]
snipped-for-privacy@performancehomes.com says...

Again, you won't enter the conversation. Your only purpose is to call people, you haven't a clue about, names.

You're doing nothing of the kind. You refuse to discuss, only insult.

You're the one with the mental problems, as you're showing.

Run away! It's all you can do when you're shown to be an empty shirt.
I told you folks that I was winning. Assholes like Matt Barrow are easy pickings. All you need is a few minutes to pop the over- inflated ego.
--
Keith

Those who don't advocate suicide.

Is it all you can do is barf back what your teachers told you?
Your evidently have no clue what the true carrying capacity of the earth is, what it's been or what it will be.
When all you can do is "barf back", it's a common shortcoming.

aem is utterly clueless and totally incapable of understanding the DYNAMIC nature of the world and human capacity, particularly human capacity for creativity and production.
When all you can do is look at static models, the real. dynamic world is incomprehensible. That lack of ability is becoming more problematic with the brickbrained nature of the contemporary school systems.
Thanks, but we do not need virtual retards to tell us how the world works and how it sucks based on their adolesent levels of comprehension.

Nature has a way of limiting population growth of most any species. Mankind has, temporarily, gone beyond that bounds. One way or another, it will catch up with him. Either slowly in forms of famine and shrinking of resources; or a major calamity. Nature will fix the aftermath.
Economically, you can't stagnate or shrink the population size and expect economic growth. You can't make enough people care enough to contribute to such a manual fix to overpopulation (limiting birthrate to 2 per couple over many, many generations). It will have to happen on its own. Dave
wrote in message>

Hardly.
Humankind has been more propsperous and healthy than at anytime in history.

Yeah, right. Paul Erlich pronouned the same thing and wound up looking like an idiot.

Population demographics has very little to do with it. A small free-market nation will always outproduce a large (or small) fascistic one.

It already is in a sense. Mark Styen has note that, outside the Muslim segments, all populations are heading for rapid decrease. This is only a factor if the next generations are expected to bail out older generations and their profligit welfare/nanny states.
wrote in message

Capitalism is based on more. Of the more, more consumers is part of the equation to continue its growth. It is also the basis for Social Security. If there's not more, the consumer contribution must increase both for consumer goods and Social Security. Its the same thing.
To reduce such a needed contribution in a stagnant or reducing population, total purchase of consumer goods in dollars must decrease as well as Social Security benefits.
Economics 101. Dave