The real housing crisis is one of quantity

Page 4 of 4
On Tue, 06 May 2008 09:10:47 -0400, george conklin wrote:

No thanks. My reading list is already quite full. I am very much aware of why housing costs WERE ridiculously high, and why the are now going way down. Perhaps you think that environmental policies have been eased (and they haven't that I am aware of)causing the decrease in the price of homes. YOU may well believe that frogs cause warts.
Unless you insist on connecting the limitations on drilling the ANWR to a control on sprawl (what a leap) you are simply full of crap.
--
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers
of society but the people themselves; and

The American population has been concentrating in fewer and fewer places since 1900. What we have today are the side effects of population concentration, with half of our counties actually losing population. Half. And it would be more like 65% if you include failure to grow at the average rate, thus failing to keep up. But do read "The Last Harvest" to see how a smart growth-oriented architect shows how governmental foot dragging kills the quality of life.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 06 May 2008 16:24:31 -0400, george conklin wrote:

NO time. But you are right to look at the community as opposed to the whole damned financial and federal taxation system.
--
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers
of society but the people themselves; and
βœ–
Since your posts don't indent properly, I'll just summarize by saying:
Your country has a housing situation that would do North Korea proud and you find noting amiss? Worse yet, you equate this to the entire US?
Just what perspective do your bring when you "testify"? A lot of Hollyweird celebrities testify in front of government boards - ever wonder WHY?
Let me guess - you're one of these? http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id ˆ31

βœ–

Indentations are not necessary style element nor are they required.
Also your summary of my posting is incorrect. There was no comparison or judgement involved. - my posting focused on the economic mechanism that drive the development of housing in the Washington DC Metro Area.

For the most part, It depends on what my local community (+700 homes) wants to focus on. My focus has normally been with the crafting local laws, zoning ordinances and variances.. most of the time its rather tedious - and almost always obscure, e.g. the environmental impact of methane generators.
The last time I testified it was to argued for my community to get some type of relief from noisy low flying helicopter operations.

That's our federal government for you! It's to be expected - Why our country even elected a hollywood celebrities (Ronald Reagan) for President!
Unfortunately, Hollywood celebrities just aren't attracted to any of my local civic meetings ... but just in case I'll have my camera ready for them :-) yeah that would be sooo cool to have Jessica Alba or Orlando Bloom as guest.... :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

The real housing crisis doesn't exist. 96% of home owners do the right thing by paying their mortgages. 4% are too stupid to figure out simple math and understand that an adjustable rate mortgage actually goes up after a certain amount of time. To you numbskulls that went to govt schools, that means the monthly payment goes up. So, what do we have? A freaking bailout that you and I have to pay for. All because people are too stupid to be responsible.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Forgive my unfamiliarity. As I understand it, the bank or maker of a loan for a home/house is REQUIRED to provide a list of payments for the entire length of the mortgage loan.
The housing crisis exists uniquely for the working poor. This is because they have to pay for all their housing costs, and because there seldom exists adequate affordable housing for these people.
--
Dave

Hypocrisy. Big SUV, filament lights on all night. You think your neighbor
βœ–
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

Actually, no, it doesn't. Many middle-class folks got in too deep by borrowing against equity (paper gains) to buy all sorts of nice toys. Now they're stuck with diminishing market value and two or even three mortgages on their property.

And who doesn't?

Absolute BS. There's not enough "rich" people to sustain the market you seem to think you see.
Just 100 yers ago, most goods beyond the very basics were the domain of the "rich" (and those were mostly rich by heredity, not productivity, at least outside the US).
Today, the "poor" have goods the rich didn't have in the late 19th century.
As little as 30 years ago, the term "Jet Setter" had a significant connotation: only the wealthy could afford to fly around for their travels; today, most anyone can.
Here's a few clues: Henry Ford, Sears, Wal-Mart, the consumer electronics industry...
There's very few markets that can sustain themselves catering only to the wealthy.

Hey, hypocrite: shut off your computer and TV and use your abacus and read books.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to prepare for a trip in the morning in my private aircraft that gets 15 miles per gallon.

βœ–

That's only a tenth of the problem. They also build their neo- palaces with three car garges, but buy five cars, two SUVs, and a powerboat. Impossible to afford maintainence fees, built-in theaters, dial-a-pizza, and fly-in drive-ways. So you put all them togther, and it's not a housing problem. It's a geniune Miami Beach idiot problem.

Add pictures here
βœ–