Tear down Tar and Gravel Roof

I am tearing down an attached carport that has a tar & gravel roof. Any suggestions on a better way to get the roof in a roll off container? Unfortunately it is hot (mid 90s) so I'm expecting a gooy mess. Any tips would be appreciated.
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:01:06 -0700, spebby snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'd start really early in the morning! <g> (Timing is everything.)
spebby snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Using the tool of your choice, cut the roof into sections about 16" to 2' wide. Our guys usually use a scraper to do this (it is like a hoe, only straight). We sharpen the scraper and then use it like an edger, more or less, to cut the builtup into strips. Roll the strips up until you have a manageable load and then cut. Carry it to the dumpster.
Before all of this, the ballast is swept up and hauled off in buckets.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Thanks for that tip Robert, I wll certainly give it a try.

Regular full size shovel will come very handy to scoop up the gravel. I am saying regular full size because I have seen those small garden shovels and these will be bad for your back. I also remember when I did removal of such roof we used big plastic tube that went directly to the dumpster but it was a 3 story building. For a garage I don't think you would need any tubes but I would protect the wall somehow.
Progress report: This has turned into quite a chore. I started by sweeping and removing the loose gravel. Then I tried to cut a strip as suggested by Robert without much luck. I tried several tools to make the cut, an edger, an ax and a circular saw, but nothing seemed to work. I then tackled the roof from below. I set the depth of cut to 1 1/4" on the circular saw, and cut the decking between every other joist. I then braced the joists and using a chain saw cut the joists in 8' lengths. When I removed the bracing I expected a section of roof to fall. No luck. After a few minutes of prying, the joists with the decking finally fell, but the tar paper and about an 1" of some type of black 4' x 8' sheets of insulation board remained. I removed a section about 8' by 16', prying each set of joists and decking until it fell, but the tar paper and insulation board remains in place. I plan to try the chain saw on the tar paper and insulation board today.