Teak beams

i am considering using a teak beam for a roof beam of a new house. does anyone know what the psi is for teak? Is it comparable to redwood or red oak? I need to know this to help determine the size of the beam - thanks!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=teak+physical+properties
RicodJour wrote:

And start at USDA Forest Products site -- the font of all woody knowledge... :)
dpb wrote:

I would start at the American Forest & Paper Association/American Wood Council site as the publisher of the ASD/LRFD National Design Specification.
Matt
tmangrant wrote:

If you don't know how to find the properties data for the material you are using, then you likely don't know how to properly size a beam. I would suggest hiring a licensed structural engineer to do this for you.
Matt
I have a licensed structural engineer; I just need to find the info re: psi to give to them, and they will size it. Since this is an urgent issue and my structural engineer doesn't have time to do any research on this (a change during construction, he has the right to take a couple of days to find it out, but I don't have the time to wait), and he can only consult his charts that have standard woods' info, I've taken it upon myself to just find the psi info.
Matt Whiting wrote:

A few observations: An engineer does not have a "right" to take days to find information that is readily available. If your engineer can't find that information on the internet in five minutes he's a dumbass. If he takes your word for it, without double checking for himself - which would take the same five minutes as above, he's a dumbass.
RicodJour wrote:

He certainly has the right to control his schedule -- the OP's "emergency" doesn't necessarily translate into his...

I doubt it's that he _can't_ but rather chooses to not disrupt his schedule for an unscheduled panic...

He certainly can't stamp a drawing/calculation w/o verification and given that he hasn't been stampeded into action on a whim, doubt he's going to...
imo, etc., ...

If he's working for the OP his right ended when he signed the contract.
Matt Barrow wrote:

Not unless the contract he signed is exclusive -- and I doubt seriously it is...

Can be either, but it depends on what the contract stipulates. Unless it's badly written, there's a clause for "expected response".
Matt Barrow wrote:

And I fully expect the PE is well within it...

http://www.exotichardwoods-eurasia.com/teak.htm I found that in fifteen seconds. teak + psi + species

I overestimated the time by a factor of twenty. Sorry.

If it's a change during construction, as opposed to work in the planning stages, that takes precedence. I'm also a little surprised that you schedule your panics. ;)
I believe that the OP is creating the problem and the engineer is probably fed up. The OP's explanation rings hollow. What engineer would require only the PSI? No modulus? And what PSI are we talking about? There's more than one. I can't see an engineer not having time to locate such readily available information. The engineer has already designed a beam - modifying the calculations for the substitute material wouldn't take a huge amount of time. There's something else going on here.
Lot's of little factors point to a large PIA factor. That's the most likely reason that the engineer is not leaping out of his chair to assist in a last minute change. Am I reading between the lines and very possibly wrong? Yep. I still believe it.
RicodJour wrote:

No, I've just been a consulting engineer (non-construction, generation-related) for 30+ years w/ multiple clients -- there are priorities and then again, there are PRIORITIES. :)

It helps to keep the blood pressure in check.

Um...maybe he's dealing with a layman? Maybe his "fed up" factor is badly out of skew?

Maybe you're right (probably), and maybe the engineer is an arrogant SOB.
Nah...that don't happen in the good 'ol USA, does it?
Thank you for providing that link to the information regarding teak.

Please don't kid yourself. That is not sufficient information. If your engineer accepts that first link as adequate information, he's a dumbass. Teak is a generic name and there are a lot of different species that fall under that rather broad classification. They all have different properties. http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/sea/Products/AFDbases/AF/asp/CommonList.asp?CommonName=teak&Submit1=Display
RicodJour wrote:

Chuckle. I should have read one more post before making my last post as I just wrote almost exactly what you wrote above. Something is fishy here and it sounds like a wannabe engineer with just enough knowledge to be dangerous trying to size his/her own beam.
Matt
tmangrant via HomeKB.com wrote:

Something is fishy here. A structural engineer experienced in timber design would not ask you to look up data and wouldn't trust data from other than a well-recognized source in any event. And there isn't a single stress value (what you are calling erroneously psi) of importance, there are several.
Matt