Tankless water heater venting

I am considering installing a ventless water heater and I have an ideal location to mount and service the devices but I am concerned about venting. I want to vent out to the side of my house, an option with the unit I am considering, but I worry about the temperature of the exhaust.
Has anyone experienced problems or issues with side venting? Will it burn plants or childern, spark fall leaves, make it miserably hot to be around? How much clearance should I plan to make around the vent?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
CB
I am considering installing a ventless water heater and I have an ideal location to mount and service the devices but I am concerned about venting. I want to vent out to the side of my house, an option with the unit I am considering, but I worry about the temperature of the exhaust.
Has anyone experienced problems or issues with side venting? Will it burn plants or childern, spark fall leaves, make it miserably hot to be around? How much clearance should I plan to make around the vent?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
CB

Have you chosen the water heater yet ? Is it active vented ? Check your local building code also - it might specify how and where venting is allowed. I did the same thing and the inspector said that I had to go through the roof.
crhras wrote:

Yes, one of two, the Noritz N-069m or the T-K1S manufactured by Takagi. You make a good point, I will call the building office in the morning.
Did you have the chance to fire yours up before the inspector pulled rank? I have never felt the exhaust from one of these units and that really is my only concern. Admittedly, I have no base for that concern other than having installed various heating units and appliances over the years.
BTW, are you pleased with the conversion to a tankless unit?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I haven't ruled out the attic as an installation point but it gets pretty darn hot up there and wonder if I am overlooking long term effects on the unit.
I vent my Bosch out the wall, yes it gets hot and will kill plants nearby , I used a stainless closing hood and removed the wood siding nearby. The length of the vent must be long enough to not allow very cold air to freeze the coil in winter, I use 6ft and go to -15f and have been ok. Depending on what you have your chimney might be an option, but going through a wall is common.

J.C., that's alot of heat. Seems a fire hazard. I'll stick with the inconvenience of a hot water heater, and one minute till hot water when I hit the spigot. Probably not bad in a cold environment, but the drying and heat are probably excessive in a warm/hot climate.
--
Jonny