Sunken Bath/Shower Question

My dad recently suffered a stroke. Before he returns home, I need to do something with their sunken bath/shower to accommodate his limited mobility while he recovers. It's ~ 37x58" and maybe a foot deep. It has a 6" or so lip above grade and then a sorry excuse for a step (like

4" wide) that would be a tripping hazard for anyone.

Ultimately, I'll remodel this for them and bring it up to grade, new shower, etc. but I need to do something short-term in preparation for his return home. They've never used it as a bath - shower only. I was thinking of constructing a deck of waterproof material that would raise the floor to grade and could be removed a few times over the course of the next couple months for cleaning. Either allow for water to drain through gaps between planks in deck surface or around circumference.

Any good ideas on prospective materials for this deck? Needs to be strong (he's 6'2" and ~300#) and waterproof. The lighter the better.

All ideas and input appreciated.

Reply to
Scott Dudley

Sounds like a good place to use Trex. It is waterproof and is already textured for skid resistance. Expensive, but easy to work with.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Uh, I think he said 'the lighter the better' which leaves Trex a distant last in my book! Blasted stuff weighs a ton.

Go with cedar, good characteristics and not terribly heavy overall.

Reply to
PeterD

How about some CMU (cinder blocks) to raise the level & then a wooden (redwood or Trex) platform of appropriate thickness to get the finish grade correct. Use SS fasteners from underside.

If weight is a big concern make it in two sections (36 x 29) should be manageable.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

What about milk cartons? Fabricate a Redwood deck that would fit on top of the crates.

Reply to
Bill

Another possibility -- a slide bench. Long enough to sit on outside the tub, then scooch over to the washing position and then scooch back again. With your setup it would probably need to be custom-built, but might be easier than bringing the shower floor up temporarily. A hand shower with a long hose (preferably longer than normal) is probably also going to be useful.

Here's a stock version of a transfer bench, as a 'fer instance':

Your dad's physical therapy team should have some ideas of what might work for temporary in your dad's unique circumstances.

Possibly useful free magazine for you and your family as your dad recovers: Stroke Connection:

Some stuff on bathroom mods:
Equipment like shower chairs and commodes and walkers can often be borrowed from the local senior/adult center. Can be really nice to be able to try out several designs without breaking the bank.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Thanks everyone. Your suggestions have been most helpful and much appreciated.

Reply to
scott