Submersible wire instead of UF

I will be running power from a house to a well house/shop. I have a roll of 8/3 w ground and 6/3 with ground submersible wire that I used in well pump installations. Since I have no further use for these two rolls, I'd like one of them instead of UF. Is that ok if I put the wire in conduit?
Thanks, RO
--
Robert Olin
Bob\'s Water & Septic LLC

Since you don't tell exactly what type of wire the 8/3 is, and the description of the 6/3 is, perhaps, a bit limited, I don't think you can get an authorative answer.
FWIW, conduit has nothing to do with it--you will need conduit regardless if you're burying cables.
I am a "seat of the pants" electrician, but know very well that any direct burial of cable or wire is a no-no. I would say that putting your cable in a conduit would only protect it, and not be a problem.
Now I read on:
Here is what I found: Technically you can't run ROMEX in conduit except for short pieces for protection (like through walls or floors).
You also technically can not simply strip the jacket of the wire and run it in the conduit (the wire is Romex are not LISTED for use).
I've never heard of Romex wire causing sweating inside conduit. Any conduit underground will "sweat" inside. Since you ran outdoor Romex (Do you mean UF??) that would suggest it is water proof, and therfore being in a "sweaty" conduit shouldn't be a problem.
Leaving romex exposed is never a good idea (weed wacker??). Personally I'd leave it as is. If you want to be to code, then you'll need to get some black, white, and green THHN/THWN wire and pull out the romex, and put this in its place.

Direct burial is covered under the code. UF is the acronym for Underground Feeder. Time for some new pants...? ;)
I see the wire does not say "GP" though.....? that means gofer proof........ Many wires get chewed on by gofers........ Oh, I am in shorts now........ john
wrote:

Direct burial is covered under the code. UF is the acronym for Underground Feeder. Time for some new pants...? ;)

If this is downhole wire for submersible pumps, I think it would be better than anything you could get. In conduit.
UF is for direct bury. Your inspector/entity may not allow it but that is what is designed for.

*If the 6/3 is approved for wet locations it can be put in conduit underground. It should have a "W" in its letter designation. Regular wire and cable without the wet location approval is not permitted underground even in conduit. Condensation builds up inside of underground conduit.
Thanks guys. Yes this wire is used down water wells and you can't get any wetter place than under water. It is made up of four twisted individual wires with out a common jacket. The colors are black, white, yellow and green. RO
--
Robert Olin
Bob\'s Water & Septic LLC

http://www.mite.com.au/wet/w1.htm Second paragraph, first sentence. :)

I'm curious what type of cable is this? Is there any letter designation on the outer jacket or inner conductors? I would think that it would have to be like a portable flexible cord to allow for the installation and removal of a well pump. Though it may be approved for wells does not necessary make it approved for anything else.

John Grabowski wrote:

<http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet172
Typical product sheet for the type. This one happens to be 3-conducter twisted instead of 4 and some are flat (similar to light cord except more/larger conductors) w/ separable strands for termination ease.
Strictly speaking, no it isn't intended/rated for burial but it'll likely last a long time.
So, while can't recommend it as Code-compliant, it's one of those that if OP is in area that doesn't require absolute conformance/inspection it will serve the purpose.

It says:
6 AWG KALAS (UL) THW SUBMERSIBLE PUMP CABLE 600 VOLTS
--
Robert Olin
Bob\'s Water & Septic LLC

*With that designation I would say that it is only approved for submersible pump use. I did read the link furnished by dpb and it sounds as though that cable could be used for what you intend. However the final determination will be made by the electrical inspector. I suggest that you ask him before doing anything.