Subfloor insulation

Am dissatisfied, after living in my new home for 2 years. Home is on concrete 12X12 piers/crawlspace, no slab. Live in central TX, very mild winters. Yet, in the winter, the floor is very noticably cold.

During the build, I noticed they used rolled fiberglas insulation. Don't know the "R" value, was thicker than what they put in the walls. They cutout 2 sections, placed one on top of the other, then placed between floor joists. They stapled the lower section to the floor joist. When they were all done with the insulation, they used a nylon netting all over the bottom. Stapled that to the floor joists. Floor joists are 2X12 under the house.

My opinion is was too loose fit, too much air travel in the joist insulated area. Is there a fix for this? Dave

Reply to
Dave

You may have a problem with air infiltration. Get a smoke stick and see if you can find where the air leaks are - there are always some. Caulk the leaks and that should help some. It sounds like they put in plenty of insulation, and it doesn't sound like there's much room for air circulation in the joist bays. Problem is that insulation doesn't create heat, it just slows the heat transfer. The floor will always be colder unless you have a radiant floor.

RicodJour