Subdividing Property

Hi everyone, We have a question I had thought would be simple , but so far , we're stumped. We own rural property in Teaxs which we wish to Subdive from 2 residential lots into 4 or perhaps 5 lots. Who does this? We are looking to contract with someone to do this and dont know where to start. The property is clearly listed as subdivideable on the deeds and restrictions.( the 2 lots are both over 14 acres) People all around us are putting as many a 20 houses on land this size, we only want 4 or 5! Any input appreciated! G&A
PS (Hays Co if anyone knows the area)
In a previous post AustinScoobee wrote...

This work is often done by surveyors. Perhaps you can find the surveyor who laid out the original lots. That will have a tendency to keep your costs down.
Bob Morrison, PE, SE R L Morrison Engineering Co Structural & Civil Engineering Poulsbo WA bob at rlmorrisonengr dot com

Yes, you'll need a surveyor to survey and define the new boundaries. But, the key thing you need to do is file a plat with the county. They may require various forms of engineering with that. You'll need a real estate attorney to assist you and prepare and record the paperwork.

Also in Texas.
Check with the county (assuming you are not in a city). In my county, lots of more than 10 acres don't require a plat. Less than 10 need county approval.
Before re platting, check 100 year flood plain maps. You don't want to find out you can't build on a replatted lot after the fact.
--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

http://www.co.hays.tx.us/departments/envirohealth/pdf/subdivisionplat.pdf
http://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/op50abbott/ga-0223.htm
http://www.txamtitle.com/pdf/web-builderguide.pdf
Groundwater, especially runoff that feeds local wells and the aquifers, is a concern.
--
Jonny

I've actually done this in Hays County, TX !
Our lot had been subdivided once before, so we had to have a survey done that included all of the origional lot.
Call a real estate attorney - you will need him to file the papers, he will give you the details.
All or our neighbors kept subdividing, so we went from "country" to "surburban" in a few years (and moved).
-Hershel