stucco before roofing?

Hello, I have contracted an addition to my home and the general just gave me his proposed punch list. He has the installation of lath/stucco prior to installing roof tiles. From what I have seen around here (southern Cal) roof tile (concrete tile) is installed before stucco to properly load the frame...hence prevent cracks. Does it matter? Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

I've always heard that the traditional cement-based stucco should go on after for the reason you mention, but I really am not convinced it would make a big difference. It's probably one of those belt and suspenders thing - you want to reduce any chance of cracking and removing possible causes, even if they have remote chances of causing cracking, is a good objective.

If you visit the Stucco org web site and check out their viewpoint on cracking you might be surprised. Their guideline is that a crack visible from 10' away is the acceptable cutoff. This in new construction.

RicodJour