Struggling with a name for your new development?

Are you referring to this William Simon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Simon ?
If so, sounds like a right wing crank to me.
Anyway, this is just something you either believe or you don't - that having kids is TMIJITW. It is a "2 kinds of people in the world" thing.
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:15:25 -0700, John David Galt

That's exactly my point -- I was advocating eliminating (or substantially increasing) the maximum allowed density in many areas.
I wouldn't prohibit large-lot single family dwellings, but if the land is zoned to allow higher density, and it's in a location where there is sufficient demand for such, the market price (and along with that, the property taxes) of that land will rise to the point that (other than a handful of rich people) most people would sell, and redevelopment could occur.

Well, I was saying what I thought would help, not commenting on the likelihood of it actually happening. :-)

Hence the zoning changes and the "unnecessary and/or harmful" subsidy paid for by said tax to promote affordable, denser development closer to where the jobs are.

Why?
-Scott

Farmland is being paved daily and most parks within easy driving distance are already overcrowded. Yosemite will be a total mob-scene by 2050, with permits required many months in advance. That's exactly how you define a shortage of space. You can't trust the market to predict these things in advance. Credit allows people to live well beyond their means.

Zoning exists to prevent nature from being totally overrun by the _unnatural_ multiplication of a single species. Many members of that species could care less about the ones they're forcing out.

Again, you show no concern for the fact that nature is being chipped away at 24/7. Zoning laws exist for reasons that nature-haters will never understand, since they consider nature to be wasted space. Growth-addicts would happily erase all vestiges of a frontier. A thin strip of woods in front of a McMansion is all the wilderness they need. It's like facing shelves at a grocery store to create the illusion of stock.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com /
When animals breed out of control we call it overpopulation. When humans breed out of control we call it "economic growth."
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:02:46 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"

That will work. Forced sterilization too!

I like that one. We're safe aren't we?

Won't work, too ugly. Gotta hide 'em!

Back 20 years ago, when I was doing developments, I just named them all after me: Joseph Hills, Joseph Heights, Joseph Lakes. I guess I could have folled the thread starters idea and called my little lower west side Erie project, Joseph Slums, since that was what had been there.
Eric

Perhaps this country should shut the door on illegal immigration to reduce population growth.
Another problem with housing--and the high cost of it--is the abandonment of old cities and suburbs. Old places have lost population. These places need to be rebuilt, with good living values, so people are attracted to come back and raise families there, and industry comes back to provide jobs. Many people fled the cities NOT for a split level house but to get away from crime, lousy schools, etc. Clean up the crime and fix the schools.
We are approaching a crisis when the baby boomers become too old to drive. That will be a huge block of people who can't get around.

Don't forget places to park at home and work. For employers who provide parking, they need more square footage of parking area than workers get for their workspace. Doesn't sound like a very efficient use of land. (Remember a parking space requires a free space for the vehicle to freely enter and exit at any time).
To build the highways and parking to serve the above adequately, we'll need so much land we'll end up tearing down the homes and work places. "Destroying the village in order to save it"

Here we go again. Whenever someone suggests that people need to live within nature's limits, some reactionary claims it's got to involve genocide. Those are your ideas, not mind.
Have you ever heard of CONTRACEPTION? It's the only technology that can stave off the destruction of nature. It just needs to be used with more foresight and vigor. The media talks and talks and talks about the environment but is afraid to offend prolific breeders who are crowding it out
No coercion need be involved for birth control to work; just general intelligence. Unfortunately, that's been too much to ask of average people. Most lowering of birthrates has come from economic expediency, not an understanding of carrying capacity.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com /
If any other species behaved like Man we'd call it a plague.

Why do certain people automatically assume zero population growth implies genocide? Have you ever heard of contraception and restoring the natural balance between births and deaths? With the advent of cheap (finite) energy, people stopped playing by nature's rules - and that's the whole problem. Here's a full page of methods to halt growth- as-usual:
http://enough_already.tripod.com/actions.htm
None of them involve idiot reactionary claims of genocide. If you have a problem with those ideas, I'll conclude that you have other motives for wanting growth to continue, like being in the construction business and not giving a damn what happens to nature.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com /
If any other species behaved like Man we'd call it a plague.

Frankly, I think this post is hilarious. Where my parents live, its called Eagle Ridge. They also have Eagle Hills and Eagle View subdivisions nearby. There is no ridge there, no hills, no view, and if there were one, you can't see any eagles. I'm surprised here in the Omaha area, there is no Buffalo Ridge, or Buffalo Hills, or Buffalo View, because the irony would be too obvious.

Had a good chuckle with the above comments. I had a weird idea years ago of finding some land in Johnson County, Kansas not already annexed by one of the many growing communities like Overland Park and Olathe. The name idea: Missouri City, only because there is Kansas City, MO, Kansas City, KS and Missouri City, MO.

And that despite a multi-billion-dollar abortion industry. Go figure.
[...]

...and you might have gotten a squawk or two from Missouri City, Texas. ;-) (I'd suspect the Texas one is probably a bit more populous than its Missouri namesake, being between Houston to the northeast and Sugar Land to the southwest.)
--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey ( snipped-for-privacy@io.com) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI\'s 2006-07 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

Does Houston still have no zoning? Might be a model for those advocating looser zoning.
My Land of Misery wrote:

Multi *billion*? Aren't we exaggerating just a wee bit? Maximum costs range from $700 to $1000 per procedure, and not all clients pay the full fare. To get to the billions mark you would need 1 000 000 women paying the $1000 cost per year, and in a few years, the total number of women having an abortion was less than 1 million.
--
Comrade Otto Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com

If I heard the radio correctly, Planned Parenthood alone has a nearly $1 billion budget with about 1/3 of that from government subsidy. Regardless of one's stance regarding abortion, that's pork spending.
In Kansas the kid can be so near born that the top of his head can be just peaking through and they can and do either bash in its head or give a shot of poison. As long as they hold up the birth until he is dead before he pops out, it is legal. Haven't you ever heard Bill Orally hammering on this subject?
I read where tiller the baby killer gave over 100 grand to our new attorney general's campaign fund to get him elected over the previous one who was trying to prosecute him because the new ag said just he would just look into it. He then promptly fired the lawyer left in the ag's office that was working on it. All you have to do is pay the killer 5,000 and he will get a doc to say the would-be mother would be stressed if she had it. Some of the excuses have been that if they had the baby that they wouldn't be able to attend concerts etc.
I live in KS but am not proud of my politicians.
Tiller the baby killer will kill any baby, all it takes is 5 grand. The clinics made a good purchase when they bought the present Attorney General for Ks. There was an article in the paper just this morning stating that the AG had withdrawn all charges against the clinic here in Overland Park and that nothing is in the works for the one in Wichita. A link.
http://www.abortionessay.com:80/files/Tiller.html
This has nothing to do with construction but I had to answer it
wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt; My Land of Misery wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; &gt; And that despite a multi-billion-dollar abortion industry.&nbsp; Go figure.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Multi *billion*? Aren't we exaggerating just a wee bit? Maximum costs range<BR>&gt;&gt; from $700 to $1000 per procedure, and not all clients pay the full fare. To<BR>&gt;&gt; get to the billions mark you would need 1 000 000 women paying the $1000<BR>&gt;&gt; cost per year, and in a few years, the total number of women having an<BR>&gt;&gt; abortion was less than 1 million.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; --<BR>&gt;&gt; Comrade Otto Yamamotohttp://mryamamoto.50megs.com <BR>&gt;&gt; decreasing the signal,<BR>&gt;&gt; increasing the NOISE!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If I heard the radio correctly, Planned Parenthood alone has a nearly<BR>&gt; $1 billion budget with about 1/3 of that from government subsidy.<BR>&gt; Regardless of one's stance regarding abortion, that's pork spending.<BR>&gt;</BODY></HTML> ------=

They're actually underfunded when you consider the present and future costs of overpopulation. People who complain about immigration should want to fund foreign family planning aid! Ease the pressure at the source, not the border. Planned Parenthood is about birth control much more than abortion. Take notice, you cretins who think "genocide" is the only means to achieve zero population growth. Contraception prevents genocide while growth-as-usual has the opposite effect.
E.A.
http://enough_already.tripod.com /
Never ask a "conservative" to conserve anything.